Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man I need a good tuner...

Default Re: Man I need a good tuner...

Another vote for TC unitune/polytune. They're very quick to nail the pitch, no waiting several seconds for the tuner to decide what the pitch is. Also very accurate, even in standard mode. When I tune each string of a pair individually, they're actually in tune with each other. Visibility is excellent and the size is not humungous. I don't leave it clipped to the headstock when not in use tho.

2. The following members say thank you to Rob Roy for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    I use one on the fiddle. I can't remember at the moment if I have one on the viola or not. Mark O'Connor's band is using them, and I figure if they're good enough for Mark they couldn't hurt me.

But on the ones I've seen, the clamp isn't wide enough to fit a mandola body. Do they make one for a cello?

Ooh, what about this? Anyone tried one of these on an oval hole mandolin or mandola?
    I use those on my guitars and on my Vega mando. I like that they are out of sight. They work well for me.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

snark
    Mandolins are truly *magic*!

5. The following members say thank you to rfd for this post:

I’m very fond my Korg Sledgehammer Pros. Put them every Mando. Yes, they’re tough to read in the sun, but I don’t know of any tuner that’s very readable in bright sunlight. Would be useful to know though.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    I’m very fond my Korg Sledgehammer Pros. Put them every Mando. Yes, they’re tough to read in the sun, but I don’t know of any tuner that’s very readable in bright sunlight. Would be useful to know though.
    This is my StroboClip HD in direct sunlight. It was 1140 when I took these, just a few minutes ago. My railing has some potential with a nice F tap tone. haha
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0124.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	868.7 KB 
ID:	176971Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0125.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	176972
    Last edited by John Bertotti; May-25-2019 at 1:32pm.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Bertotti For This Useful Post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

that problem is new to me - Irish music is more of a nocturnal thing. I haven't played a session in sunlight in years.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

10. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Cobalt 

Bluegrass players can be up at the crack of noon, or so I've heard

And my SC-1 drives me crazy with lines which is why I switched to the Korg.

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

12. The following members say thank you to Bill McCall for this post:

Ooh, what about this? Anyone tried one of these on an oval hole mandolin or mandola?
    Basically a good idea, but my OM's hole is reinforced with a narrow ring underneath, I have my doubts about fixing a tuner there.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

For long-term installation, there's also a D'Addario tuner that attaches to your tuning machines with a screw:

https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/pla...ree-tuner.html

I don't know well this would work with typical 4-on-a-plate mandolin tuning machines. Seems to be designed with individual machines in mind.
    I think this thing screws right into your peghead, not attaching to tuners.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    I think this thing screws right into your peghead, not attaching to tuners.
    The tuners are fixed with screws already, so I guess you take one of those screws out and this screw in instead. But I will find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    The tuners are fixed with screws already, so I guess you take one of those screws out and this screw in instead. But I will find out.
    that's what the video shows. So no added violation of the peghead.

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

that's what the video shows. So no added violation of the peghead.
    indeed, it seems to work.

Name:	IMG_20190607_165926.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	510.3 KB 
ID:	177352

indeed, it seems to work.

Name:	IMG_20190607_165926.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	510.3 KB 
ID:	177352
    Cool -- do you think it would work with standard 4-on-a-plate tuners?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Hm, I wonder if the Korg Dolcetto-V would work on the Lyon & Healy mandola? Its clamp is designed for a violin or viola pegbox.

https://www.korg.com/us/products/tun...to_v/index.php
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Try contacting Snark. I had the same problem and they sent me a new one.

Cool -- do you think it would work with standard 4-on-a-plate tuners?
    I don't see why not.

The Polytune really has been the greatest tuner I’ve had yet. I’ve probably owned mine since they first became available and it’s been through literally everything a tuner can be exposed to. Sadly though it has been sat and stepped on one too many times and now it’s starting to be unreliable. That’s purely because of my extreme handling though. I’ve probably hit it with a hammer by accident too once. I’m currently weighing it against the Peterson clip on as a replacement. It’s a hard choice for sure.

Since a couple people have put in recommendations for the Korg CA-1 & CA-2 despite them being hand-held rather than clip-on I just thought I'd mention that Korg also makes the TM-60BK, which is like an upgraded CA-2 combined with a metronome.

It's backlit, accurate, allows you to set tap tempos for the metronome, gets long battery life out of AAAs (something I'm personally more likely to find laying around the house in the pinch than watch batteries), has an auto-off feature... everything I wanted in a tuner for under $25.

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the great suggestions-- I am hoping for a StroboClip HD for my 64th BD in a week. I can appreciate all the other possibilities, as well, but the clip-on is best when playing with others who are amplified unless one uses a pedal tuner. Does the StroboClip have the metronome as the Snark does? If so, is it a tap tempo type?
    Last edited by lflngpicker; Jun-13-2019 at 6:28pm. Reason: spelling error :)

Strobo clip HD does not have a metronome. I would also suggest using a strobo first to see if you like it. I talked another into buying one but he promptly returned it because he didn’t like how it didn’t just lock in. The app is really good as well and might be a good way to get your feet wet and see if this style of tuner is for you.

26. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:

I do not like the strobe. I used a petersen strobe clip, did not work for one of the mando string courses. just not as quick and intuitive as I like. I don't get the benefit. I also find the LED tuners like D'adario hard to feel confident in, not enough resolution when you are high or low to know exactly how far out you are.

Best tuner I have ever used is the korg AW2. Very accurate, informative readout, you know exactly how far out you are. It is the ONLY tuner I have used that works on every instrument I have: fiddle, mando, bass, guitar, banjo. Amazing. When Korg stopped making them I got all the ones back that my kids "borrowed." Battery lasts nearly forever. Only problems 1) the mount is a little weird, and 2) some of the ones I have the battery door is a bit loose. But the tuning performance is great. Everything else I have tried is weak by comparison.

28. The following members say thank you to vince f for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by vince f View Post
    I do not like the strobe. I used a petersen strobe clip, did not work for one of the mando string courses. just not as quick and intuitive as I like. I don't get the benefit. I also find the LED tuners like D'adario hard to feel confident in, not enough resolution when you are high or low to know exactly how far out you are.

Best tuner I have ever used is the korg AW2. Very accurate, informative readout, you know exactly how far out you are. It is the ONLY tuner I have used that works on every instrument I have: fiddle, mando, bass, guitar, banjo. Amazing. When Korg stopped making them I got all the ones back that my kids "borrowed." Battery lasts nearly forever. Only problems 1) the mount is a little weird, and 2) some of the ones I have the battery door is a bit loose. But the tuning performance is great. Everything else I have tried is weak by comparison.
    I must admit on my OldWave A the E strings take a bit more pluck to register properly but they do work. I just adjusted my picking a bit. On my 000-18 GE I use my nail. But so far other than that the clip has worked on everything I have tried it on. The 590 and strobo plus HD also work on everything I have used them on.

30. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:

Clip on tuners are designed to work with very little effort when you pluck the string. Striking it hard can overdrive them. Very lightly touch the string with your finger or a pick, very lightly.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

32. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Just got a TC Polytune - love it!

Bright, really accurate and built like a tank. The head doesn’t swivel, but you just attach it an angle where you can see it. I don’t leave my tuners on the instruments - tune up and take it off.

I have a couple polytune/unitune tuners. They are great tuners, but have one weak spot. I take them off and put them on after opening them. The small thin plastic can otherwise crack where you would squeeze the tuner to clamp it on. If it is opened first it won't be a problem. Been using them for a couple years daily, and have hardly changed a battery.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

35. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Astro