Thread: Yet another pick thread, primetone small triangles

Default Yet another pick thread, primetone small triangles

I recently discovered these on the Jim Dunlop website.

I need a brighter pick than what BC seems to be able to give me. I know, wierd, but its the electric mando, acoustic mandos seem to like the darkest pick I can throw at them.

Soo... long story short, the PT's give me the sound I want, and the smaller triangle size is cool, but I wish it was slightly bigger, and the big one is too large now. Basically I have gotten used to the midzsize TP.

I feel like I am getting way too picky about this but they sure feel different to me. I am adjusting to the smaller triangle, it does feel like it gives me more control, but my fingers sometimes touch the strings because the pick isn't as long as I am used to.

Pic of the various sizes attached, with the tortex for reference. The top row each one is slightly smaller as you go to the right. The blank one used to have PT 1.4 lettering on it, but I wore those off years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190521_145958_small.jpg 
Views:	484 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	176876  
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

Default Re: Yet another pick thread, primetone small triangles

I don’t think you’re being picky, I discovered these recently. I like the small triangle too, I used to use a BC80 but I think the Dunlop sounds better on the TI strings. I also like the Red Bear pick as well.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

The Dunlop Primetone picks have become my main picks over the past year or so. I use both large and small triangles (depending on the mood), and also the semi-round picks if I want to bring out the softer (or "rounder") sound of my instrument. To my ears, the small triangle has a slightly brighter sound than the large triangle. I prefer the smooth ones to the model with the grip, except for the semi-round pick, where I think the grip model give you a bit more of an edge over the smooth model, which can be too mellow depending on the mandolin you're using. If the smooth pick slides between your fingers, try scratching the central area with a sharp object to create some kind of texture. I found this to be useful in keeping the pick in place.

I have to resurrect this topic due to some experience with those picks. I discovered them a couple of years ago after I started on the mandolin, because I was looking at what Sierra Hull uses (a blue chip, 1.5mm), and ended up seeing something about Primetone Small Triangle being similar, with speed bevels and modern plastic.

coming from the guitar and bass, I've always preferred classic picks like the Tortex in 060 or 073mm, except a little period of time in which I used the Jazz III in the standard shape (black material), but then came back to the thin/medium Tortex.

with the mandolin I felt those picks a but awkward, but classic plastic heavy picks didn't sound good (f.e: the Fender or Gibson Heavy), not even the heavy Tortex.

I then bought on Amazon a bag of Primetone Small Triangle in 1.5mm, smooth surface, and really liked them on the mandolin... or I should say "it", because in a couple of years using it even on the guitar (on the bass I still prefer thin picks, brighter and snappier), it's still the same one pick I started with, and the other 11 picks are in the bag :P

however, in these days I decided to try the thinner versions, and bought a bag of 1.3 (still small triangle, smooth), and I didn't liked them on the mandolin: they are lighter in weight, the sound is thinner losing a lot of bass frequencies, and the too harsh on the high strings.
    they also transfer less strength to the strings, so the overall volume is less and, in particular, they can't handle heavier dynamics, so if I dig a bit more on the strings, I can't get "more" volume.

the strumming is interesting, lightening the sound and making it play like a classic "bright acoustic guitar", but I don't like it for bluegrass chops.

I've ordered a bag of 1.4mm arriving next week, out of curiosity, and maybe try to make a sample with various picks.

Blog Entries

For brightness I go to thinner pointer picks. 0.75mm. Turns yer mandolin into a whole 'nuther instrument.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (2).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	210341Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1980358800_merch_frt_001_nr.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	431.0 KB 
ID:	210342Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dogal-pm2-pick.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	210343

More "conventionally" for folky, bluegrass, etc., 1.4 mm is by go to width. Primetone 1.4mm, Blue Chip TAD 60, Wegen TF 140, and Red Bear C-HVY SB.

Mike Marshall pointed out in a video that every little thing makes a big difference with mandolins. I have noticed that two picks with no discernable sound difference when used on guitar can have a world of difference on mandolin.
    Last edited by JeffD; Nov-03-2023 at 12:43pm.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

6. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Blog Entries

This is a wonderful article I often post. https://jazzmando.com/tips/archives/000718.shtml
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Instrument / Pick (always subject to change):
    Eastman AR403ce Archtop Electric Guitar / Blue Chip Jazz 60
    Godin Montreal Premiere Semi-Hollow Electric Guitar / Blue Chip Jazz 50
    C. F. Martin 000-28 Acoustic Guitar / Blue Chip IBJ 55
    Gibson Parlor Rosewood 2019 Acoustic-Electric Guitar / Blue Chip IBJ 55
    Vagabond Acoustic-Electric Travel Guitar / Dunlop JP Jazz III 1.5
    Recording King Swamp Dog Resonator Acoustic Guitar / Wegen Big City Jazz 1.8
    Fender Mustang PJ Bass / Wegen Twin 2.5
    Eastman MDA315 Mandola / Wegen Bluegrass 1.4
    Eastman MDO305 / Wegen Bluegrass 1.4
    Kentucky KM-270 Mandolin / Gravity Sunrise Big Mini 1.5
    (+ 3 Tenor Ukes w/ no picks)
    Actually, now 6Guitars

That’s interesting. I play a Paganoni, and it (or at least I) likes the 1.3 more than the 1.5 for the same reasons - more volume and fuller sound. The 1.5 is a little duller.

Quote Originally Posted by 5Guitars View Post
    Instrument / Pick (always subject to change):
    Eastman AR403ce Archtop Electric Guitar / Blue Chip Jazz 60
    Godin Montreal Premiere Semi-Hollow Electric Guitar / Blue Chip Jazz 50
    C. F. Martin 000-28 Acoustic Guitar / Blue Chip IBJ 55
    Gibson Parlor Rosewood 2019 Acoustic-Electric Guitar / Blue Chip IBJ 55
    Vagabond Acoustic-Electric Travel Guitar / Dunlop JP Jazz III 1.5
    Recording King Swamp Dog Resonator Acoustic Guitar / Wegen Big City Jazz 1.8
    Fender Mustang PJ Bass / Wegen Twin 2.5
    Eastman MDA315 Mandola / Wegen Bluegrass 1.4
    Eastman MDO305 OM / Wegen Bluegrass 1.4
    Kentucky KM-270 Mandolin / Gravity Sunrise Big Mini 1.5
    After posting the above list just the other day, I realized that I've never been completely happy with my last choice: Kentucky KM-270 Mandolin / Gravity Sunrise Big Mini 1.5. So, I dug out my very large stash of rejected picks from years gone by and tried everything I had including the ones chosen for other instruments above. I had one lone pick that turned out to be the winner - a Dunlop Jazztone 204 (picture below). I don't know how I got it. I don't usually favor rounded tips. I had a bunch of Jazztone 205s which are the same thing with a pointed tip. Anyway, it made me quite happy with the mandolin, so I ordered 36 of them from Strings & Beyond for $33.00. As Chuck Berry once said, "It shows to go you never can tell!"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jazztone 204.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	210434
    Actually, now 6Guitars