Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bjork's Chauffeur

Bjork's Chauffeur, the last track of Shooglenifty's 'Solar Shears' album has some of the sickest mandolin playing i've ever heard. It's absolutely amazing.
    I think there's a sample on their website http://www.shoogle.com
    If not, i might be able to create a short demo clip if any one is interested.
    Amazing 'tis.
    ~rbm

Jehanne

That is one of my favorite songs of theirs.
    It's wicked awesome.
    Life is too important to be taken seriously - Oscar Wilde

I'm a country mouse Bobbie Dier's Avatar

I just got 'Arms Dealers Daughter' for Christmas. I just wanted to know what all the talk was about. They are awesome. I love the mix of acoustic,electic and drums.
    You say 'Solar Shears' is good too? I'm gonna go broke buying CDs.
    I wandered again to my home in the mountains....

Jehanne

Oh yes, Solar Shears is great. Some don't like the "mixed" sound (which is much heavier than on Arms), but I think it's fantastic.

Arm's Dealer's Daughter was definitely a great suggestion. I got that along with the Mike Marshal and Chris Thile CD, and i've got some great mando playing to listen to. I loved the first two Shoogle albums, and while I don't like one or two songs off of Solar Shears, there are some really cool songs on that album. Shooglenifty is just such a cool band, I just sit back, close my eyes, and try to picture the guys jamming. They're hopefully coming to my town in March, although I'm not sure on, but I'm really hoping they do.
    And we all go the same way home..

I've got their entire catalog (four studio CDs and one live CD), and am a big fan of both Iain MacLead's (mandolinist on the first four) and Luke Plumb's mandolin playing (Arms Dealer's Daughter). IMHO, you can't go wrong with any of their CDs.
    Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

Jehanne

Mad Dawg,
    Weren't you working on some of the songs off of Arms? How's that going?

I haven't tried to play any of them yet, I'm so busy trying to keep up with the stuff my teacher gives me I hardly have the time to try other music (which is good, keeps me working hard).

Fistfull of Euros is still a work in progress; I received a bunch of music books -- with CDs -- for Xmas, so I have been favoring them since I don't have to transcribe from CD to learn then.

Jehanne

I feel much the same. I have sad little dreams of them putting out sheet music for their stuff, but I know it's never going to happen. And, unfortunately, I learn very slowly by ear.
    Bummer.

Good to see that after quite a long absence from the Cafe discussion board on my part, that mad dawg and jehannarc are still talking about the Shoogles! Some things in life are just constants!

This time last year I was in Glasgow enjoying the Shoogles at the Celtic Connections Festival. They're playing there again Sunday night, but alas, I'm not anywhere near it this time.

There are a couple of Shoogle tunes published on sheet music (from Venus in Tweeds), but it'd be pretty hard to get anywhere other than Scotland.

Bjork's Chaffeur is a great tune - not sure how you'd go about working that one out! Actually, it's a bit sacreligous but I don't actually like the tune that follows it.

After a hell of a lot of listening of all four albums, I think that Solar Shears is my favorite. Not sure why - possibly because it's (debatably) the most varied album.

Guess what i did last night.
    Spent four hours transcribing Bjork's Chauffer.
    Just the mandolin and fiddle tune in the set, as i dont think the other tunes would really be worth it. Get your metronomes handy...
    anybody want a copy?
    yarr im a pirate!
    ~rbm

Jehanne

Rayce,
    Arrr matey!
    I do! I do!

AndrewP,
    Some things never change! Hard to stray from talk of the Shoogle. Man, I envy you getting to see them live! I'm planning to get over to England/Scotland in the next couple years (for field school, fingers crossed), and hope to work in seeing them during my trip. (as well as many a session).

Rayce: Wellshivermetimbers, I'd love a copy of it, arrrrr (for your convenience, my address follows in anti-scanbot format: jim_macdanielATyahooDOTcom)

Andrew: I was about to ask you for recommendations for sources of the sheet music that you referenced, but I just remembered you are in Australia when not in Scotland. (Correct?)

Actually in Winchester - about 1 hr SW of London. I think the book is called The 90s Collection or something like that. Excellent for fans of Scottish traditional music, but in a book of very many tunes, I think there are 2 or 3 Shoogle tunes - from memory The Point Rd might be one of them.

Very impressed that you transcribed Bjork's Chauffer!!! I wouldn't even try it. If you've got it written down Rayce, I'd love a copy (not that I could play it).

BTW, when I said Solar Shears was my favorite album, I actually meant Whiskey Kiss.

Okie doke to everyone who wants one. I'll save it to pdf format tonight an send it out. Theres a few discrepencies with triplets and such, and i wrote it out common time with 16th notes as opposed to cut-time with 8th notes...makes it easier to put on one page. He plays it slightly different when the fiddle comes in but, hey, gimmie a break this is my first transcripition job.
    Drink up me hearties yoho!
    ~rbm

Alas the pdf conversion is crappin' out, so you'll have to download the free version of Finale to view it.
    Go to Coda Music Home Page. Its a free download and will be able to open and print the file no problem. Email me and I'll send you the Finale file.
    ~rayce
    ~rbm

I would LOVE a copy! I doubt I'll be able to play it, but that's never stopped anyone. My email is ajvesseyATstthomasDOTedu. Way to go, their music baffles me!
    And we all go the same way home..

Rayce: thanks tons!

Andrew: thanks for the title of the book -- I'll do a search for it (Winchester is a long way from Sydney -- I guess I am in need of some remedial geography). #

BTW, Whiskey Kiss is my fav, too (perhaps because it was my first Shoogle CD?)

ok you guys have my inerest peaked. Is the only way to buy a cd through thier website?

Jehanne

Borders also occasionally sells their stuff, but you can also get it on here:

Music Scotland

or at amazon.com or barnesandnoble.com

Okie Doke
    Everyone who wants a copy send me an email along with youre preference for standard notation or tab (Ive already got the standard done, ill have the TAB done by tomorrow hopefully).
    ~rbm

OK, I ordered Solar Shears I spend way too much moola when I'm bored at work
    Can't wait to get it

Jehanne

Christine, funny you mentioned that. I was just shopping online myself due to boredom at work.
    Fortunately I didn't find anything yet!

I've an extra unopened copy of Arms Dealer's Daughter (their newest CD) that I'll make someone a deal on if they want it. I received it for Xmas, but I had already purchased it as soon as it was released earlier in the year. Please contact me off-line if interested.

Jehanne

Hey kids, here's the 90's Collection for anyone who is interested (see, knew that online shopping would lead me right to it!)

Sheet Music Plus

Amazon.com has it for a little cheaper, but it takes 1-2 months to get it.