Thread: Help me use this diminished lick

Default Help me use this diminished lick

I am working on a chord melody, and there is a nice diminished lick in it. I need help with using it in another context.

The lick is pretty simple. One chord shape that moves up three frets, and then three frets again. Diminished!

The chord is an F on the D string (3). The D on the A string (5). And the A flat on the E string (4). Again move this shape up three frets. Three more, and then back if you like.

2 questions. What is the root note of this chord shape? What chords could you use this lick over?

The genre is gypsy jazz btw. Thanks for any help with this!

Default Re: Help me use this diminished lick

Any note is a root. The 4th tone would be B. D, F, Ab, B are the 4 tones, all a minor third apart.

I believe you could use it over Bb7, Db7, E7 or G7.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Andyesquire View Post
    ... F on the D string (3). The D on the A string (5). And the A flat on the E string (4)...
    Well I'm no expert but... so you've got x-3-5-4...

Looks like a simplified version of either:

• 1-3-5-4, which is one of several ways to play Ddim (D F Ab). No 7. Root D.

• 4-3-5-4, which would make it a Ddim7 (D F Ab B) instead, in which case I think it would be like Bill says below:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    Any note is a root. The 4th tone would be B. D, F, Ab, B are the 4 tones, all a minor third apart.
    Looks that way alright, if one adds the B to make it into dim7: a reverse chord-finder website says that the notes "F D Ab B" are any of the following dim7 chords:

Abdim7
    Bdim7
    Ddim7
    Fdim7

To double-check those chords, since I'm terrible with flat and/or (for me) unusual keys, I use a different website where you type in chord names and it gives you the letters/notes:

Abdim7 = Ab B D F
    Bdim7 = B D F Ab
    Ddim7 = D F Ab B
    Fdim7 = F Ab B D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    I believe you could use it over Bb7, Db7, E7 or G7.
    I'm not sure but here are the notes in those chords... they look different:

Bb7 = Bb D F Ab
    Db7 = Db F Ab B
    E7 = E G# B D
    G7 = G B D F

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jess L. For This Useful Post:

Yes any note in the chord could be the root. Naming it would depend on the context. The key, the chord before and after. Usually the chord before is a half step lower, say for example a E7 (E,Ab,B,D). Then you raise the root note up a half step to F and you have an Fdim7. Then resolve to and A.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Visentin For This Useful Post:

The trick of using a dim7 chord over a V7 a half step lower is to create a 7b9 chord:

A7 = A C# E G

Bb dim7 = Bb Db Fb Abb - yes that's the correct spelling, A double flat - enharmonic to Bb C# E G

Played together you get A7b9 = A C# E G Bb

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post

Bb dim7 = Bb Db Fb Abb - yes that's the correct spelling, A double flat - enharmonic to Bb C# E G

Played together you get A7b9 = A C# E G Bb
    That is, C#dim7 over an A bass. (Normally someone else in the group will be playing the bass note, since mandolin has only four courses, and no real "bass" notes.)

C#dim7 is a diatonic (scale-based) chord in the key of D minor, and easily used as a dominant in D major for a little chromatic colour.

The Bb dim7 spelling suits Gb7b9, a useful substitute if you're playing in the key of C flat!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Clausen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Clausen View Post
    That is, C#dim7 over an A bass. (Normally someone else in the group will be playing the bass note, since mandolin has only four courses, and no real "bass" notes.)

C#dim7 is a diatonic (scale-based) chord in the key of D minor, and easily used as a dominant in D major for a little chromatic colour.
    C#dim7 is not diatonic in D minor, since there is no C# in the key signature. But, C# is usually found in D minor as the raised leading tone. It is what makes harmonic minor.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David L For This Useful Post:

Right, the chords of a minor key are based on the harmonic minor scale.
    Last edited by Bruce Clausen; May-20-2019 at 12:39pm.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Clausen For This Useful Post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Another context? It's what's normally played -on piano- in the old black & white pre-talkies, just as Snidely Whiplash is tying Liza Belle to the railroad tracks, with a steam locomotive fast approaching from the distance!

Or you could just listen to The Beatles' mid-'60s revival of the (even THEN old) "'Til There Was You". Granted that it's on guitar, but Mr. Harrison nicely moves the series of diminished 7th chords (for my money, the SAME diminished chord) on up the neck 3 frets at a time.

While I've had relatively little (read that "absolutely no") formal music education, I still find it amazing how much can be learned just because someone had pointed out such details along the way.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EdHanrahan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    Another context? It's what's normally played -on piano- in the old black & white pre-talkies, just as Snidely Whiplash is tying Liza Belle to the railroad tracks, with a steam locomotive fast approaching from the distance!
    And on old 45's as well. For example:

(FWIW, I'm pretty sure it's Mr. Lennon doing the three-fret slide in Till There Was You, on rhythm guitar in the second bar of the A section each time.)

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Clausen For This Useful Post:

Thanks everyone for this great discussion! Very helpful.

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I had to run out of the theater. The train was coming right at me!!

21. The following members say thank you to Andyesquire for this post:

I taught "classical" music theory for years. When Tim Connel told me to use a "flat-ninth-without-root instead of a V7" I didn't know what he was talking about (I do now). The "root" is implied in these chords, but in 19th Century based classical theory you have to call it and decide which note is root. I tried your progression and it sounds cool! Added some Jesse McReynolds cross picking for even more scary fun.