Thread: 1941? Stadolin- needs work- low starting price

Default 1941? Stadolin- needs work- low starting price

I reckon 1941 as this mandolin has those enclosed Kluson tuners which were made just prior to the USA entered WW2- metal shortage stopping such luxuries as cover plates due to the war effort! Obviously, that raised bridge suggests some issues with the top and there are other aspects, too that need attention.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-man...emCondition=10

Default Re: 1941? Stadolin- needs work- low starting price

Opening bid is cheap enough. Part are worth that. Poorly refinished, top has probably sunk like ya say, filler added on back where the back and sides don't lineup.....not much of a looker, IMHO. I think there are better "projects" out there.....

I say that because I regularly see original finish Stradolin's for $100-150, if you look hard enough.

Tuner covers are hard to find. National used those on certain guitars from that period. Gives a nice look, IMHO.

It looks like the finish was stripped off.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

4. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

It's all there- it just needs someone who likes a bit of a challenge. As the back is not fixed properly, I imagine taking it off and fixing the top would make a lot of sense.

Laminated instrument -- clearly seen in the photos. Missing logo and stripped finish are a deal-breaker for me, since original finish, solid wood examples are still selling so cheap. This one is good if you need the parts to fix a nicer one, IMHO........

It is probably the Junior model- ALL laminated. The bridge is from a 1940s Kay but I reckon those covered Kluson tuners are worth the opening price and then there's the guard.I assume that bridge is not where it should be located. On those that are set up, the bridge is in line with the bottom of the f holes. Perhaps, if the bridge is in the right place, that plinth can be discarded?

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    I reckon those covered Kluson tuners are worth the opening price and then there's the guard.
    Some of those tuner covers stuck around after WWII. That tailpiece and laminated body point toward a post WWII SOL. Most of those post WWII SOL's have rivets holding the gears on the tuners, instead of straight slot screws. Like the one in the thread... "Bought a Stradolin. Serial Number?". There are better deals out there.
    Last edited by your_diamond; May-21-2019 at 3:47am.

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

The seller just texted me, this has rivets holding the tuning gears on the tuners.

17 minutes to go........................NFI