Thread: 1996 Gilchrist price list

Default 1996 Gilchrist price list

Read 'em and weep
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gil 1996 price list.jpg 
Views:	694 
Size:	451.9 KB 
ID:	176828  

2. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Default Re: 1996 Gilchrist price list

I'll take one!

If it's any consolation, the price of his standard F-5 invested in an S&P500 index funds with dividends reinvested would amount to almost exactly $35,000 today. So if this is your dream instrument, and you had the money then, and invested it in almost any no frills way, you have the money now to buy the same instrument - even after your capital gains taxes.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

Alan,
    What did he offer as far as a ‘Loar’ case?

Got on the list for an F5 standard in 1994 through Dexter Johnson. Got it 2 years later. Still got it, and it is an outstanding instrument with plenty of volume as well as a very sophisticated tone. Workmanship remains outstanding-much nicer than factory instruments of any age. It is at home in bluegrass, classical and old-time. SG will be remembered for many generations to come. What a deal!

alan , if I remember correctly , you had 332 and I had 331...I still have my booklet and order sheet and a signed hat from the first gilfest at stigma ...still got the pickguard from it too

Couldn't afford one then, either. Oh well.

10. The following members say thank you to Bob A for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    If it's any consolation, the price of his standard F-5 invested in an S&P500 index funds with dividends reinvested would amount to almost exactly $35,000 today. So if this is your dream instrument, and you had the money then, and invested it in almost any no frills way, you have the money now to buy the same instrument - even after your capital gains taxes.
    Great point. But what other investment could you have enjoyed for regularly for 20+ years and still double or tripled your money?

Inflation is a bit#h.

I remember when John Reischman bought his F5 Loar for $8K (late 1970's) and I thought he WAY overpaid for it. HAH!!!! Inflation truly is a bit#h.

I'd like a 16" guitar at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by RichieK View Post
    Alan,
    What did he offer as far as a ‘Loar’ case?
    Good q, Richie. I got Caltons, at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by kymandolin29 View Post
    alan , if I remember correctly , you had 332 and I had 331...I still have my booklet and order sheet and a signed hat from the first gilfest at stigma ...still got the pickguard from it too
    Good memory, Mark. You may remember that I had received a Monteleone GA on 4.5-year-long order, sold it right then and ordered 332. Best move I ever made.

In 1987 I got mine for $2250!

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    Great point. But what other investment could you have enjoyed for regularly for 20+ years and still double or tripled your money?
    There are people that like wheeling and dealing so much that they would rather invest and reinvest than sit on the front porch causing sympathetic air vibrations with a wooden box that has metal wires on it. Even though its chaqu´un a son I think you could translate John Hartford's meaningful proverb into mandolin as "a mandolin will get you through times of no money, but money won't get you through times of no mandolin"

-----------

But I´d like to shed some light on instrument prices in general.

I´d have to do that from memory (albeit fairly acurate). At that time the distinction between 30ies and 40ies D-18 Martins were not really made. So a great Martin D-18 from that area cost about 5.000,00 USD (visit at Gruhn's in 1994). A Lloyd Loar F-5 cost about 40.000,00 USD (mandolin bros. mail "catalogue" from 1996). A prewar 40ies D-28 was around 11.000,00 USD (visit at Gruhn's in 1994). Would it be fair to say that Grisman's Tone Poems I singlehandedly rocked the vintage instrument prices and Gilchrist prices?

Had my dad bought Coca Cola stock in 1982 with all he had and probably taken a mortage on the house (and sold it at the right time), the family would be passing gas through silk now.

Look at other items (concert harps, violins and violin bows [!!!]) and mandolin prices feel suddenly very decent even though certain instruments remain unobtainable for most people.
    Olaf

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    Probably many things, but knowing what things is the key.......

Muscle cars, fine art, certain folk art, rare records, are a few I can think of..........and failed to "invest" in.......

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Savard View Post
    In 1987 I got mine for $2250!
    Sounds cheap now, but that was a lot of dough in 1987. You could buy a pre-CBS strat for $1000 back then -- which was also a lot of money, too..................................!!!

To be honest, scraping together $2250 was really, really tough in 1987. I’m glad I did it though. #179 is a great instrument.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Savard View Post
    To be honest, scraping together $2250 was really, really tough in 1987. I’m glad I did it though. #179 is a great instrument.
    Cheers
    Was #179 one of the two I had the pleasure of playing at the LT Retreat all those (20?) years ago? Do you still have both of them? Quite the pair they were!

Gerry, yup that’s the one. Tone bars The other one is 188. X braced
    Cheers

take a look at this Gilchrist for sale: https://www.bromptons.co/auction/25t...gilchrist.html

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Read 'em and weep
    I wonder if these prices were in Australian Dollars? If so, if I'm doing the math right, an F model would've been more like US $8,000. Still, weep worthy either way.
    Last edited by Doug Freeman; Jul-03-2019 at 1:38pm.

Reserve was not met. I believe it was £6000. It then went on an after sale bid for 2 days. A friend and I put a bid in at £6500 but it went for £8500. These prices have 25% auction fees/vat to be added so the winner paid £10540.

I don't know who got it.

Jimmy P
    UK