Thread: Requesting Recommendation for Strings for MIX Mandolin

Default Requesting Recommendation for Strings for MIX Mandolin

I acquired a used MIX carbon fiber mandolin and do not care for the flat wound strings that it came with. I think the sound is somewhat dull. I would appreciate your recommendation for strings to use with this special instrument. Thank you!
    Julie

Default Re: Requesting Recommendation for Strings for MIX Mandolin

I started with Jazzmando JM11s (flat wounds), and later used the D'Addario Flat Wounds. I like the flat wound feel and neither had any squeak. Both had a diminished volume, however. I don't know if I would describe it as dull though.

Based on threads in the Cafe, I tried both the DR Rare and then the Mapes. I like both. I think I like the Mapes best, however, because they are brighter than the flat wounds, but not too bright. In addition, the Mapes seem to last the longest of any strings I have used.

The problem is I used all these strings over such a long time that they are hard to compare. I didn't exactly A/B them in a blind test or anything.

I have a Mix A5, #51. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

3. The following members say thank you to coolwood for this post:

werbel 

Blog Entries

Default Re: Requesting Recommendation for Strings for MIX Mandolin

I don't use anything but Elixirs on my Mix F5, though admittedly I have not tried anything else but D'Addarios.

Daniel