Thread: The Three Bears? Or are they rabbits? (mando family pics)

Default The Three Bears? Or are they rabbits? (mando family pics)

Just getting back into mandolin, so I bought a new Eastman MD515 less than two weeks ago. Liked it so much, I drove the 140 miles back to the same store (shout-out to Paul and the guys at Music Villa in Bozeman, MT) and picked-up an MDO-305 octave mando over the weekend. They told me that it had just come in two days before that and had been on order for months. They always have about a dozen mandos hanging in there, but evidently people snatch-up the "oddball" cousins in a hurry. So then I got to thinking that I really needed a mandola in there somewhere, so I ordered an MDA315 mandola from Mass Street Music (because they seemed to be one of the only places that had one in stock... they actually had three). It came in yesterday. Haven't really spent any time with it because I had a big gig to play last night and was focused on that. But I intend to spend most of the weekend getting familiar with the mandola. I think it'll be the sweet spot for me, because the Eastman mandolins have such tiny necks that It's really hard for me to cram my fingers in there. The octave mandolin sounds wonderful, but things are a bit of a stretch down low on the fretboard. I think the mandola will be "mamma bear" and be juuuuust right. Time will tell. Now I need a mandocello to complete the full set! I've got my eye on a few. They're multiplying like rabbits!!!

2. The following members say thank you to Red_Label for this post:

Default Re: The Three Bears? Or are they rabbits? (mando family pics)

Nice looking mando family! Don't leave them alone in the dark or you might start finding bowlbacks! LOL!!

4. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    Nice looking mando family! Don't leave them alone in the dark or you might start finding bowlbacks! LOL!!
    Ha ha! I do like the look of bowlbacks… but have never found them comfortable to sit or stand with, so maybe that'll keep me from going down that road. After I pick up a mandocello... I intend to set my sights on higher-end mando brands like Collings, Weber, etc. Just wanted one of each for recording purposes, and to figure-out which one(s) suits me best. I really think the mandola will be my favorite. But I do love the deep tones of the octave. I always love the sweet high sounds of mandos, but the necks are uncomfortable for me. I should have kept one of the two Breedlove American KO mandos that I had a few years ago. They had wider necks and radiused fingerboards. they didn't sound any better than this Eastman 515, but the wider neck was certainly more comfortable for me to play.

Blog Entries

That is a great trio you have there! You've gone all in. Those Eastmans are so well built and great looking. Happy playing!!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

The first step is acknowledging you have a problem

Very nice!!
    Chuck