Thread: Eastman MD614 opinions?

Default Eastman MD614 opinions?

Curoius of some feedback on ths Eastman MD614 - oval.
    I have the 515V - and it sounds great - I think the varnish helps.
    I wish they would apply the varnish to the 600 series.
    Any chance they do and I just do not know about it?
    Thanks.

Default Re: Eastman MD614 opinions?

I have both finishes, not that big of a difference. I had a nitro-gloss one that didn't sound well and blamed it on the finish. Then after a setup and bridge adjustment it sings nicely, in retrospect I was wrong to think it was the finish.

Why not just get a 514? You can have a pickup installed later, the same one if you really want it.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

3. The following members say thank you to kurth83 for this post:

I thought the 614 might have a nicer wood selection. I wonder if they make the varnish finish on the 514? I have to say, I tried my 515V against a new Gibson - and I thought the 515V was better! Of course, every instrument is different.

Quote Originally Posted by kurth83 View Post
    I have both finishes, not that big of a difference. I had a nitro-gloss one that didn't sound well and blamed it on the finish. Then after a setup and bridge adjustment it sings nicely, in retrospect I was wrong to think it was the finish.

Why not just get a 514? You can have a pickup installed later, the same one if you really want it.

Eastman's are known to vary only by bling, the woods and carving are the same. Some ppl prefer the 300 series for that reason.

I like their varnish finish. It appears I can only get that in the 500 series.

QUOTE=kurth83;1715476]Eastman's are known to vary only by bling, the woods and carving are the same. Some ppl prefer the 300 series for that reason.[/QUOTE]

Eastman's are known to vary only by bling, the woods and carving are the same. Some ppl prefer the 300 series for that reason.
    Particularly as the 300's have the cast tailpiece as standard now.

I have a 515 myself and love it. We've had some 8 and 915s here at our shop that weren't near as good. I'd recommend playing some if you can and find the one that speaks to you. As a few people have said already, the 300s are pretty awesome.

I think you're right about that. I played every Eastman in the store when I bought my 515, and the particular one I bought just jumped out at me... even though the 815 was the one that had my eye. I even had a sales guy play them all. We were both surprised at the big, bold tone of the one I picked.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
    I think you're right about that. I played every Eastman in the store when I bought my 515, and the particular one I bought just jumped out at me... even though the 815 was the one that had my eye. I even had a sales guy play them all. We were both surprised at the big, bold tone of the one I picked.
    Definitely the optimum way to purchase a mando in a mass-produced line like Eastman or Kentucky. In that context, I don't think that model designation matters as much. As least not as far as tone is concerned.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18