Thread: Question about strings

Default Question about strings

So I've been fiddling around with different mandolin strings. So I get the difference between coated, flat wound, and the various winding materials for the wound strings. But what about the two bare pairs?

Is there any difference between, say, an 80/20 bronze and phosphor bronze set in the unwound strings, or are they just the same? Ditto the flat wound and similar variants?

Default Re: Question about strings

The plain strings are just that, plain strings.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Question about strings

Quote Originally Posted by TheStatistor View Post
    ... Is there any difference between, say, an 80/20 bronze and phosphor bronze set in the unwound strings, or are they just the same? Ditto the flat wound and similar variants?
    There isn't a fixed rule or standard, string companies can do whatever they want... For many companies that make string sets, the plain (or un-wound) strings are just stainless steel. Some string set makers may have some special metal alloy or special coating that they use with their plain strings, but if so they will be documented as such somewhere in the packaging.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]