Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do people ever change their strings?

Default Re: Do people ever change their strings?

Kurt's guide to avoid ever having to change strings simply because the strings are old:

- MAS is #1, buy new instruments before strings wear out, and accumulate many so no one set of strings gets too much time.
    - learn to love the sound of broken in strings, pick choice and playing style can all adapt to them. If you simply like a dark sound you are golden, the rest is easy.
    - things like refrets and diddling with setups (which require a string change anyway), will avoid ever having strings old enough to need changing.

For me a string change is what you do when you get a new instrument, and often a few times until I find the strings I like on it... After that, as little as possible.
    Trinity College TM325 Octave Mandolin (converted to 4-string tenor guitar).
    Eastman MD-605SB, MD-604SB, MD-305, all with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, Fender Mando-Strat, Godin A8. Tin Guitar travel mando.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, Pocket POD (Express).
    Amps: QSC-K10, DBR-10, THR-10, Bose SoundLink Mini II.

Default Re: Do people ever change their strings?

Quote Originally Posted by kurth83 View Post
    Kurt's guide to avoid ever having to change strings simply because the strings are old:

- MAS is #1, buy new instruments before strings wear out, and accumulate many so no one set of strings gets too much time.
    - learn to love the sound of broken in strings, pick choice and playing style can all adapt to them. If you simply like a dark sound you are golden, the rest is easy.
    - things like refrets and diddling with setups (which require a string change anyway), will avoid ever having strings old enough to need changing.

For me a string change is what you do when you get a new instrument, and often a few times until I find the strings I like on it... After that, as little as possible.
    This^^^ Especially #1 - sounds like a plan!