Thread: Mandolins and Recorder Trio from CMSA 2018

Default Mandolins and Recorder Trio from CMSA 2018

Here's a video (thanks to Michael Tognetti) of a group of 2018 CMSA convention attendees with a couple of generous recorder players (wrangled by Alice Derbyshire) performing the second movement of a piece called Two for Texas that I wrote a few years ago for the Dutch mandolin orchestra ONI and the Rio Brazos Recorder Trio from Texas.

This is the first North American performance of the piece and came together with minimal rehearsal in the midst of the usual excitement of a CMSA convention. Despite having only a chamber group of mandolins instead of a full orchestra and only one late night rehearsal the performance came off beautifully. This is the kind of thing that happens frequently during the CMSA Open Mic sessions and the audience response at the end shows the kind of support the performers typically receive from their fellow convention goers.

Here are links to a pdf copy of the score and an mp3 of the audio only from my blog:

Score: http://www.mandotopia.com/CMSA/TfTpt2.pdf
    MP3: http://www.mandotopia.com/CMSA/2018O...woForTexas.mp3

You can read a little more about the piece at my So Many Tunes blog post.

Many, many thanks to my old and new friends who spent so much time working on this piece and who made it sound so good.

John G.
    Last edited by John Goodin; May-15-2019 at 9:27am. Reason: Youtube address mistake

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to John Goodin For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Mandolins and Recorder Trio from CMSA 2018

Nice work composer and performers, and a very nice blend of light instrumental sounds. I don't know how much is being done with wind instruments joining our plucked strings; only heard of a few pieces here and there. I am hoping to pull together a small group to perform Mozart's Ave Verum with singers at the open mic this year; I've heard back from a few interested people so far; do you sing, John? Variety is the spice of musical life.
    Jim

4. The following members say thank you to Jim Imhoff for this post: