Thread: Weldon Lister Tailpiece on Collings

Default Weldon Lister Tailpiece on Collings

Mr. Collings eye for detail and call to excellence made for a perfect combination of the amazing artistry of Weldon Lister's engraved tailpieces on his mandolins. I'm thankful to have an example on my Collings MT2V.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to maplebaby For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Weldon Lister Tailpiece on Collings

Very pretty!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

That rare thing.
    An “owner improvement” that actually is one.

Beautiful.

Lovely crosshatch detail by the end pin. Really complements the fancy top part.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Very nice. The details are exquisite. As are many of his pieces.

I have an engraved pocket knife by his father (also my great-uncle) Bill Lister. Big Bill Lister was a very tall man known as the "World's Tallest Singing Cowboy". He was something like 6'8". He often opened for Hank Williams Sr. on the road and the two were good friends. I remember growing up as a young boy and Big Bill would pick with the other grown-ups at family reunions. He was so tall! Sorry to hijack, not often you run into obscure family connections on the Cafe.
    Ocean Blvd - Funky Jazz (https://oceanblvd.band)
    Cosmic Ramblers - Bluegrass, Americana (facebook.com/cosmicramblers)
    HotQua String Band - Gypsy Swing, Latin Bluegrass

Main Mandos: Nashville Flatiron A5 Artist, Belmuse 4 string electric

7. The following members say thank you to seththedude for this post:

Blog Entries

That is exquisite.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

thanks for checking this out! I see your from Kalamazoo...a guitar student of mine went to the old Gibson shop there and got a piece of the original wood floor and brought it back to me - kinda cool. Love to visit there someday.

thanks for giving this a look...appreciated!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Lovely crosshatch detail by the end pin. Really complements the fancy top part.
    thanks so much for giving this a look!

Quote Originally Posted by seththedude View Post
    Very nice. The details are exquisite. As are many of his pieces.

I have an engraved pocket knife by his father (also my great-uncle) Bill Lister. Big Bill Lister was a very tall man known as the "World's Tallest Singing Cowboy". He was something like 6'8". He often opened for Hank Williams Sr. on the road and the two were good friends. I remember growing up as a young boy and Big Bill would pick with the other grown-ups at family reunions. He was so tall! Sorry to hijack, not often you run into obscure family connections on the Cafe.
    Great story and loved the information and history you shared...thanks for taking your time to share your thoughts and connection to these amazing craftsmen with us!

Weldon does exquisite work, here's the one I have. It's very similar on the end, but with a flowerpot on the front.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weldon - front.JPG 
Views:	218 
Size:	648.8 KB 
ID:	176761
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Weldon - end.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	288.6 KB 
ID:	176762
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Austin Bob For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=Austin Bob;1715234]Weldon does exquisite work, here's the one I have. It's very similar on the end, but with a flowerpot on the front.

that's beautiful! thanks for sharing.

Dale, I never liked the Collings tailpiece, as the edge always dug in where I rested my hand, but the engraved version is the most perfect art deco piece I've ever seen; where the design of the tailpiece & the engraving come together perfectly. It stands out beautifully against the maple.
    I've got a gold version like Austin Bob's on my Ellis.... with the flowerpot. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7598.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	643.0 KB 
ID:	176763
    In my opinion, the ne plus ultra, are the Collings headstock designs that had added engraving by Weldon Lister...like this one
    https://themusicemporium.com/new-arr...#&gid=1&pid=21

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to doc holiday For This Useful Post:

yours is stunning...love the simple complexity of his work. Couldn't agree more about the engraved headstocks - next level stuff even on a Collings. Thanks for the great post.

I've been following Tom Ellis on Facebook as for the last several weeks he's been posting pictures of a pretty special build. This week he went into detail about a tailpiece being engraved for this one mandolin. Incredible talent on the mandolin build, the finish work and now the tailpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by maplebaby View Post
    thanks for checking this out! I see your from Kalamazoo...a guitar student of mine went to the old Gibson shop there and got a piece of the original wood floor and brought it back to me - kinda cool. Love to visit there someday.
    It’s changed a lot since the Heritage company has been partnered with some “outside influences” a significant number of fairly senior labor force was walked out the door a year or so back, they are getting the site much more “gentrified” putting in a mock studio and beer garden and Starbucks or some such coffee shop.
    I won’t bother to drive by anymore until the smokestack is restored and then only to take a picture!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Blog Entries

Those are all very nice! I love the flowerpot ones the best, I also never liked the Collings tailpiece's or the Monteleone style. Just too used to the old Gibson style base with the slide on cover.
    How much does it cost for the flowerpot engraving on a traditional style assembly? That is just sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    It’s changed a lot since the Heritage company has been partnered with some “outside influences” a significant number of fairly senior labor force was walked out the door a year or so back, they are getting the site much more “gentrified” putting in a mock studio and beer garden and Starbucks or some such coffee shop.
    I won’t bother to drive by anymore until the smokestack is restored and then only to take a picture!
    thanks for taking your time to check this out...kinda sad to hear the report but man did some great stuff once come out that shop. RIP Ted McCarty.

I was here when the company started the F-5L project and before. The sad day when the company left the city, then Heritage came along and got some use from the space. There is a long conversation there which doesn’t necessarily belong here. Feel free to PM me if you want to hear something from a city dweller watching the rise, fall, lift, followed by less than stellar treatment of staff and subsequent strange doings pertaining to the “development of the area” by corporate...
    Timothy F. Lewis

the golden years of Gibson for sure...had the privilege of meeting Mr. McCarty a few years before his passing. I was pretty much awe struck...it was kind of like he was a rock star! I said something to him like, thanks for all the great guitars you created for guitar players, his response i'll never forget, 'I was just doing my job.'

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a pic of the mando in it's Calton Case..