Thread: Larson Harp Mandolin on Antiques Road Show

Blog Entries

Default Larson Harp Mandolin on Antiques Road Show

I didn't see where this was posted before. Apologies if it has.

https://www.pbs.org/video/larson-bro...a-1910-2jbqbh/
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Default Re: Larson Harp Mandolin on Antiques Road Show

Nice. Does Mr. Cavalieri say, however, that he doesn't know whether Chris Knutsen made harp mandolins? (Knutsen definitely did make them.)
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

$7500?
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

I thought the guy was way too harsh on the Larson mandolin. He said that they are largely decorative, and no one would buy it for the sound. I've played a couple of these that sounded great, and the second soundhole gives them a unique tone. That particular example looks like it needs some work, and I'm thinking the value would be about half the figure he quoted (probably even a little less). Just my two cents.

5. The following members say thank you to gweetarpicker for this post:

Again, I’ve never seen anyone pull out a checkbook when they give a number and this one is a prime example of tell them a big number and offer some fluffy commentary.
    I don’t think this is a piece that is worth 7K on its best day! I agree with gweetarpicker about half that is more realistic.
    If this was pristine, in its original case maybe that kind of heady value but, it’s not and, it doesn’t.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I have a style 35 mandolin and am fairly confident this is a style 402 mandola. Note the pickguard, the attachment of the harp arm to the headstock and the size. Definitely larger than a mandolin and significantly rarer.
    Tim

Apparently we in the UK are not allowed to see this because of ' rights restrictions '

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

9. The following members say thank you to Dave Hanson for this post:

Cobalt 

Here's a Dyer Style 402 harp mandola at Bernunzio's (and don't think I'm not tempted!). John wants $5K for it, and estimates another $1K for restoration. Not that far from the Roadshow estimate.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

A slightly less fancy, smaller-body Dyer Harp-Mandolin at RetroFret for almost 1/3 the Antiques Roadshow assessment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8098_01.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	249.8 KB 
ID:	176765
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

So, where are the checkbooks?
    They ain’t drawing 7K are they?
    What are the “Experts” bona rides? Is this, very small, area of expertise in the esteemed Mr. Cavalierri’s wheelhouse?
    I’m expert in all kinds of things, just pulled a little project off from parts I had on hand, made everyone very happy!
    Markets are so flexible or maybe fluid is a better choice of words but, until money changes hands what does it matter?
    Years ago someone offered me a stupid amount of money for my Alvarez, I should have taken it but, I didn’t.
    I don’t much care, it suits me, I like it, it has sentimental value. And, it’s paid for!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tim noble View Post
    I have a style 35 mandolin and am fairly confident this is a style 402 mandola. Note the pickguard, the attachment of the harp arm to the headstock and the size. Definitely larger than a mandolin and significantly rarer.
    Boy, its hard to tell from the video. It could be a mandola. Its just hard to tell. But I agree, if it is a mandola, the price is closer to right.

I can also see that if it is a mandola, even if the reviewer was aware of it he might not want to overcomplicate things by having to explain what the heck a mandola even is.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Boy, its hard to tell from the video. It could be a mandola. Its just hard to tell. But I agree, if it is a mandola, the price is closer to right.

I can also see that if it is a mandola, even if the reviewer was aware of it he might not want to overcomplicate things by having to explain what the heck a mandola even is.
    Clarification of whether it’s a Mandola or Mandolin is no complication! It’s verification of what it is. That’s what “experts” are supposed to do, isn’t it?
    Timothy F. Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    A slightly less fancy, smaller-body Dyer Harp-Mandolin at RetroFret for almost 1/3 the Antiques Roadshow assessment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8098_01.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	249.8 KB 
ID:	176765
    I saw that and started to shiver. I have wanted one for a long time. Maybe not quite at that price, but then again... If it sounds great, or can be made to sound great with minimal work, it would really be a hoot to bring it to a jam.

Especially a jam I have never attended and where they don't know me. I would show up, and they don't know that I am able to play a bit, and they would see that mandolin and I can here them "oh dear God, what has this guy brought" and figure perhaps I got talked into buying the thing for its distinctiveness alone, or had to take it in a auction lot and could not sell it.

And then... when I can make it sound pretty mandolin like, I can watch their faces.

The entire staff
    funny....

Here’s the appraiser’s biographical sketch from the Antiques Roadshow website:
    https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/ap...nce-cavalieri/

As for “pulling out checkbooks,” it is unethical for independent appraisers to make an offer on items they appraise.