Thread: case cover project?

Default case cover project?

Well, I have some nice leather. Some very supple cowhide tanned like buckskin so it is very very supple would actually make a great shirt or jacket. I also have some thinner tooling leather, harder less flexible but still would make a nice case cover. I am not sure which I will use yet but my question is about insulating material. I can get metalized polyester in a sheet or plain old Thinsulate but I am not sure either would actually function as intended layered under the leather. My concern is how well it will breathe. Do any of you have any knowledge on this subject?
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Default Re: case cover project?

Do mandolins need to breathe?

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    Do mandolins need to breathe?
    Undoubtedly!hahaha
    My concern is winter time when we are very dry here and I humidify my cases. I think if it doesn't breath the more humid air could cause mildew or mold. I have smelled cases that were obviously mildewy. Might just be one of those things I will have to work around and make sure I open the cases every cou8ple days to air it out but in truth, I doubt I would leave the case cover on unless I was traveling so it all might be a moot point anyway. In the end, I might use some sheepskins I have instead then I wouldn't be using any insulating material at all those sheepskins insulate great on their own.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

I get what you're saying. But mildew and such would be caused by over-humidification. As long as you are keeping the humidity in your case between 35-55% RH, whether it is breathable or not makes no difference. If it's breathable, you'll just be adding more air (a few drops per hour, maybe) to the surrounding environment. A sealed case can still be at 35-55% RH, it will just take less moisture. Many of the best cases are hermetically sealed. I would argue that it gives you more control. Just don't over-humidify, and you'll be fine.

5. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post: