Thread: Lightweight Octave Mandolin Cases

Default Lightweight Octave Mandolin Cases

Hello all,

Does anyone have a recommendation on where I could get a lightweight, custom case for a Weber 2-point octave mandolin? The case that came with it is, quite frankly, overbuilt for the job. Empty, the current case is 15 pounds. With the octave in it, that bumps it up to 20 pounds total. It would be nice to have a semi-soft case with backpack straps like my wife's guitar case (10 pounds total WITH the guitar inside).

Is there a semi-soft case company that could make something for a 2-point Weber octave, kind of like a Travelite case, but custom fit? I have looked around, but have not found anyone yet.

Thank you so much for the help!

Default Re: Lightweight Octave Mandolin Cases

I have an older (original Montana) Weber Yellowstone F OM with probably the same case, and yeah, it's overbuilt. Way too heavy to use for sessions or gigs.

What I've been using on the rare occasions the OM leaves the house is a Reunion Blues gig bag for Classical guitar. It's an older version, maybe from before the company changed hands? The closest one in the current lineup looks like maybe this one, 7.9 lbs:

http://reunionblues.com/product/195/RBEL-C3

The Reunion Blues bags are a little more protective than completely soft gig bags, with a stiff padded liner inside the outer fabric. That makes this style of gig bag heavier than a completely soft one, but I like the slight added protection. It's still nowhere near as safe as a hard case, so I have to be careful how it's packed in the car, and where I set it down at a session or gig with the OM inside.

Note: Anything designed for a classical guitar will have the needed length, but it's not a great fit for a Weber OM due to the smaller mandolin-shape body. AFAIK, nobody makes a narrower gig bag that would fit a "Gibson mandolin on steroids" design like this.

What I do is roll up a towel and stuff it in the case on the right-hand side of the OM body, to keep it from moving around in the bag. It also adds a little extra cushioning on the bottom side of the bag when it's set down with the handle up. I should just get some closed or open cell foam and fit out the case better, I've just never got around to it.

If I played it out more often, I would want a lightweight hard shell case. Unfortunately, the really lightweight Classical cases are not cheap. Something like this, only 4.5 lbs would be nice:

https://www.amazon.com/Crossrock-CRF.../dp/B07P9YSJ2Q

Edit to add: I've heard of people using banjo cases for OMs. I haven't tried that, so maybe someone else can comment on that idea.

3. The following members say thank you to foldedpath for this post:

carried my 20" scale Girouard octave in one of these and it was excellent. foam is thicker than you expect and sturdy. makes a lightweight package but still protective.

i'll try to dig up some pictures of the octave in it, used to have some. it was a perfect fit.
    the case was designed for 11" banjo pots(they also make 12" which is way too large-fyi.

Taylor guitars uses Access for their soft cases. high quality of build and function. zipper pocket works effortlessly as does the full case zipper.

https://www.elderly.com/collections/...k-banjo-gigbag

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ab1ob1_700x.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	176677

All my CBOMs fit in this Access Stage 3 small guitar bag. It's a little big for the mandola but the octaves and bouzouki do fine in there.

If you dig around on the Acesss site they have upper and lower bout pads for sale to customize the interior (at least a little).

https://www.accessbagsandcases.com/p...uitar-gig-bag/
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Dunwell B-1 Bouzouki
    www.singletonstreet.com

Name:	90847601-F056-4679-82F9-87B308160D22.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	578.2 KB 
ID:	176719Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0F83FE9C-E9F7-46C6-8262-E22C06AB69D8.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	654.9 KB 
ID:	176720

The SKB 1SKB-GSM Hardshell Case for Taylor GS Mini fits my Gallatin Octave Mandolin.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ancient For This Useful Post:

I recently bought an awesome second hand Weber F4 Bitterroot octave and had the same problem with its original hard case. It's sturdy as it can be, but not really practical for taking it outside the house, which I plan to do regularly. The best gig bag I could find in terms of size, weight and protection has been the Mono Parlor case. It's not perfect for my mando in terms of body size, but with its headlock and well closed it's great. The case itself it's fabulous. Hope this helps someone!

https://monocreators.com/products/cl...tar-case-black

Name:	IMG_20200205_091735.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	183426

Name:	IMG_20200205_091843.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	759.7 KB 
ID:	183427

Name:	IMG_20200205_091902.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	722.2 KB 
ID:	183428

I’m totally blanking on the name of the company, but the guy who sold Reunion Blues to its present company is still making cases out in California. They’re pricey, and I couldn’t get a good feel for how much custom stuff they’re willing to do on the website, but also never called or seriously looked into it because I found a RB mandolin case on sale and went that route instead. Looked like this company had some really nice bags, so may be worth a call or email if you can’t find a banjo or small guitar bag that will work.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    carried my 20" scale Girouard octave in one of these and it was excellent. foam is thicker than you expect and sturdy. makes a lightweight package but still protective.

i'll try to dig up some pictures of the octave in it, used to have some. it was a perfect fit.
    the case was designed for 11" banjo pots(they also make 12" which is way too large-fyi.

Taylor guitars uses Access for their soft cases. high quality of build and function. zipper pocket works effortlessly as does the full case zipper.

https://www.elderly.com/collections/...k-banjo-gigbag

Name:	ab1ob1_700x.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	176677
    +1 on the Access gig bags. I have an Access Stage 1 for one of my instruments and an Access Stage 3 for another. Big difference between the two, but I like both for their individual purposes. The Stage 3 is remarkably protective and has a super-abundance of pockets.

Chuck in post 4 is right, they have all sorts of pads available that work well. I highly recommend Access products, especially Stage 3.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    I’m totally blanking on the name of the company, but the guy who sold Reunion Blues to its present company is still making cases out in California. They’re pricey, and I couldn’t get a good feel for how much custom stuff they’re willing to do on the website, but also never called or seriously looked into it because I found a RB mandolin case on sale and went that route instead. Looked like this company had some really nice bags, so may be worth a call or email if you can’t find a banjo or small guitar bag that will work.
    Glenn Cronkhite is who you're thinking of: https://glenncronkhite.com

He made a great case for an old Bacon & Day Silver Bell tenor banjo that I had years ago.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Cases for octaves are virtually non-existent. When Eddie Blevins built my f-style octave, we looked around but found nothing. For protection's sake, I didn't want a gig bag. I had a case custom made by http://www.cedarcreekcases.com/. It it heavy and takes 2 men and a small boy to carry it.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

I had a custom case made by Coon Hollow Canvas (http://coonhollowcanvas.com/musicali...entcases-html/) for an octave that was shipped to me in a pretty beat up banjo case. It included a pocket and shoulder strap. My kids had fun picking out the colors for me.
    Fylde Single Malt Mandolin
    Fylde Touchstone Octave Mandolin
    Eastman MDA315 Mandola