Thread: block inlay

Default block inlay

when i started this project, I inventoried everything i had, and ordered my supplies from stew mac hopping not to get slapped on shipping., but i see i only have small bits. is a block do- able with small bits, as opposed to large ones, or should I just order some big ones? ( Plus I am sure as I go, I will need something else,lol
    Mike Marrs

2. The following members say thank you to Martian for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: block inlay

Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    when i started this project, I inventoried everything i had, and ordered my supplies from stew mac hopping not to get slapped on shipping., but i see i only have small bits. is a block do- able with small bits, as opposed to large ones, or should I just order some big ones? ( Plus I am sure as I go, I will need something else,lol
    What project?, what order?, what kit? What are you trying to do install block inlays on a mandolin?, mandola?, mandocello? something else? What kind of fretboard? radiused or not? etc
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Shipping to Mars must be exhorbitant!

Bernie: he must be assuming we know what he is talking about. I don't either.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

You can do blocks with smaller pieces:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-05-13 19_57_33-Window.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	176683
    (Don't knock the inlay work, it's the first I ever did, haha)

There's also a pretty common pattern where you use two smaller pieces of mother o pearl, with a third triangular piece of abalone in the middle. Together they make a block of MOP/Abalone/MOP, and small bits and pieces could be used without having to have large blocks.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    What project?, what order?, what kit? What are you trying to do install block inlays on a mandolin?, mandola?, mandocello? something else? What kind of fretboard? radiused or not? etc
    The Project is this is my 4th mando, and have not done one in a while. I am making an f model with Adrians prints. So , O I needed to make an order of stuff from stew mac. have no idea about what kit you are talking about. I have small inlay bits, I was wondering, if it makes any sense to cut out a mando block set with a small bit. flat fretboard
    Mike Marrs

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    The Project is this is my 4th mando, and have not done one in a while. I am making an f model with Adrians prints. So , O I needed to make an order of stuff from stew mac. have no idea about what kit you are talking about. I have small inlay bits, I was wondering, if it makes any sense to cut out a mando block set with a small bit. flat fretboard
    So your main question is do you need some larger router bits to cut the patterns in the fret board wood for the block inlays?

Personally I find larger bits handy if I want to hog out larger sections of wood so I would say yes larger (1/8"?) bits for the centers and small bits for the edges and corners. Also I would cut some nice deep slots on all four sides to mark the edges of my block holes with an Exacto knife before routing out the centers. Others might have better advice. Good luck.

I mentioned kit only because in your first post you gave no indication of what you were working on?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    So your main question is do you need some larger router bits to cut the patterns in the fret board wood for the block inlays?

Personally I find larger bits handy if I want to hog out larger sections of wood so I would say yes larger (1/8"?) bits for the centers and small bits for the edges and corners. Also I would cut some nice deep slots on all four sides to mark the edges of my block holes with an Exacto knife before routing out the centers. Others might have better advice. Good luck.

I mentioned kit only because in your first post you gave no indication of what you were working on?
    thanks Bernie, yes that is exactly what I mean was using a larger bit for the hog out part. i have a dozen or so small bits, but was wondering if this was like rowing a boat in the ocean,lol, and I did think of profiling the blocks with an exacto. also, i seen , but have not watched, on Rescue pearl, they have 2 vids on inlaying a block pattern. this is my first block, thanks again
    Mike Marrs

that looks great
    Mike Marrs