Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: About my pick grip

Default Re: About my pick grip

another vid that i keep posting: Bush, McCoury, Joliff, Skehan, Hoffman, they're all holding pick the same way except for the one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTJJdlswFPE

I find if my index finger is curled in, middle follows that and ring/pinky follow again, but if index finger is open, whole hand is open. Also an armrest really helps, it's the 3rd possible place you can plant something
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

2. The following members say thank you to gtani7 for this post:

This thread got me to reevaluate my pick grip.

I have been using the pinky plant, going to stop using it, it is almost certainly holding me back.

As a student of Ms Lichtenberg, I admit I hold the pick like she does, and as Calace did before her (his method book documents that exact pick grip).

My theory is this grip is likely some kind of tradeoff. Classical requires very delicate control of dynamics, on a note per note basis, my theory is that this grip allows the fingers to be used to provide more nuance than a pure wrist-driven picking style can. Not sure what is lost however.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

4. The following members say thank you to kurth83 for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I was told that the pick should be an enhancement for the flesh of the thumb by a teacher I had. John mcgann in an interview on here said you should bow it like a violin. Both of these were useful for me

I Am almost obsessive about playing instruments as they should be played. Guitar technique is different. I’m a guitarist but whenever a guitarist tells me ‘if it has frets I can play it’ I shake my head and wait for then to back it up. About 80% can’t back it up.

Strummed five string banjo - yuck.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Lewis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kurth83 View Post
    My theory is this grip is likely some kind of tradeoff. Classical requires very delicate control of dynamics, on a note per note basis, my theory is that this grip allows the fingers to be used to provide more nuance than a pure wrist-driven picking style can. Not sure what is lost however.
    Sheer volume.

8. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Blog Entries

My pick hold changes according to what I'm doing. Playing light and quiet is similar to Caterina. Playing fast is like Chris T. And doing tremolo I use the rounded side of the pick. Strumming is more like guitar work.

Also the mental concept and muscle memory focuses on the whole arm, sort of whipping the end. (which activates the string). I seem to get tense when I think of just my hand.

10. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post: