Thread: Nomd!

Default Nomd!

Picked up an Eastman 505 octave mando today. Love it! I picked up an MD515 mando on Monday and that got the juices flowing. So when I stopped into the same store today and noticed an octave hanging on the wall, I snatched it up without hesitation. The sales guys said they'd been waiting on this one for months, and that it's only been here for two days. They said that octave mandos and other mando cousins don't usually last long, since they're uncommon. Next up for me will be a mandola. And then probably a mandocello. Though I'm not sure at the moment what the difference between an octave and a cello is. I love the deep, dynamic tones of this thing. I'll post a pic of the two new Eastmans together when I'm back home tomorrow.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red_Label For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Nomd!

Congrats! Delete the highest set of strings on your octave, then add another lower set (C) below the lowest strings on your octave. Boom, cello. The Eastman cellos are good, but the necks are too wide (they are really just archtop guitars with a different setup). I've devised a string spacing for them which makes them play really nicely.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...I-did-about-it

So basically mandola (CGDA), mandolin (GDAE) : mandocello (CGDA), octave mandolin (GDAE)

4. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Congrats, love my OM, thinking about a mandola myself too.
    Davey Stuart tenor guitar (based on his 18" mandola design).
    Eastman MD-604SB with Grover 309 tuners.
    Eastwood 4 string electric mandostang, 2x Airline e-mandola (4-string) one strung as an e-OM.
    DSP's: Helix HX Stomp, various Zooms.
    Amps: THR-10, Sony XB-20.

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Congratulations, love octaves. I am expecting a new one any day , but it is a solidbody elictric 5 string
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

7. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    Congrats! Delete the highest set of strings on your octave, then add another lower set (C) below the lowest strings on your octave. Boom, cello. The Eastman cellos are good, but the necks are too wide (they are really just archtop guitars with a different setup). I've devised a string spacing for them which makes them play really nicely.
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...I-did-about-it

So basically mandola (CGDA), mandolin (GDAE) : mandocello (CGDA), octave mandolin (GDAE)
    Thanks for the info Marty! I'll definitely look into doing that when I get a 'cello.

Just ordered an Eastman MDA315 mandola from Mass Street Music. Should be here later in the week if they ship in the next few days. Then I'll just have a cello to go to complete the set. Woot! Now... if I could just get a fraction as comfortable on 4/8 strings tuned in 5ths as I am on 6/12 strings tuned in 4ths! I'll post a pic of the "family" when the mandola gets here.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
    Just ordered an Eastman MDA315 mandola from Mass Street Music. Should be here later in the week if they ship in the next few days. Then I'll just have a cello to go to complete the set. Woot! Now... if I could just get a fraction as comfortable on 4/8 strings tuned in 5ths as I am on 6/12 strings tuned in 4ths! I'll post a pic of the "family" when the mandola gets here.
    I played an Eastman mandola at Mass Street Music last Saturday. Might be the same one. You'll be pleased.

Got really lucky a couple of weeks ago--our local shop got in two Eastman MDO-305's. I never saw the first one as it sold the day it came in, but I managed to snag the second one thanks to my lovely wife, who saw it when she went in for violin lessons and told me about it anyway, knowing full well what would happen next. I love it! Can't keep my hands off of it. To my ear it's somewhere between Celtic-style oval hole OM's and other archtops such as Weber. They had a Weber Bitterroot hanging there and I played them side by side for quite a while. The Weber definitely had a richer sound but at my level of playing it wasn't $3,200 richer. Plus the thick neck on the Weber felt like a shovel handle. I much prefer the thinner neck on the Eastman and the brighter sound suited me just fine.
    -- Johnson MA-100 Mando
    -- Eastman MDO-305 OM
    -- 3 Seagull Merlin dulcimers (2GDG, 1DAD)
    -- 1952 Harmony Roy Smeck guitar
    -- Ortega Lizzie Ubass
    -- Leigh Campbell electric violin
    -- Pfretzschner violin
    -- Glaesel viola
    -- Ibanez acoustic/electric guitar
    -- Misc: a cello, 2 cigarbox guitars, charango, djembe, slide dulcimer.