Thread: 2000 Gibson Flatiron Cadet

Default 2000 Gibson Flatiron Cadet

I've been coveting a flat top oval hole for awhile--vacillating between trying to find a used Big Muddy, or a Trinity College, or similar. My bluegrass chops just aren't ever going to be there, and I prefer more melodic playing with a bit more sustain.

Found a 2000 Gibson Flatiron Cadet out there for a bit under $400. Pictures look pretty clean, no obvious issues that I can see. I don't know the Flatiron/Gibson stuff well enough to know if that's a reasonable price for that model, or if I'd be better off going a different route.

What does the hive mind say?
    Howard Morris Oval-hole A-style Mandolin
    Ohana BK-70R Bar. Uke, cust. nylon string set in GDAE
    Kala U-Bass
    Krappy Guitars Custom Radiused Fretted Electric Upright Bass

Default Re: 2000 Gibson Flatiron Cadet

Quote Originally Posted by blaise.douros View Post
    I've been coveting a flat top oval hole for awhile--vacillating between trying to find a used Big Muddy, or a Trinity College, or similar. My bluegrass chops just aren't ever going to be there, and I prefer more melodic playing with a bit more sustain.

Found a 2000 Gibson Flatiron Cadet out there for a bit under $400. Pictures look pretty clean, no obvious issues that I can see. I don't know the Flatiron/Gibson stuff well enough to know if that's a reasonable price for that model, or if I'd be better off going a different route.

What does the hive mind say?
    Saw the one you're talking about online a couple days ago. Looks kinda funny without '(The) Flatiron' on the headstock, but that's just me. Built by Gibson in Nashville instead of Bozeman a year before they stopped making them altogether, it's still going to be a top-quality pancake. And at a great price (less than I paid for my 1N), so if you want a flat top it's a great way to get in the game.

If you want way too much info about these mandolins, see here: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...se-Flatiron-1N

Edit: Perusing the above thread, I can't ascertain for certain whether this is what would be considered an inferior 'toy' Flatiron, although those were obvious imports where this one appears to have been built in Nashville. I can't find any pics of what the imported ones looked like to confirm if they are the same or not.

Here's an identical 2000 model sold recently that had a much lower asking price: https://reverb.com/item/14084460-gib...n-2000-natural

C. ~/:/~
    Last edited by Chris Daniels; May-09-2019 at 2:46pm.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

Default Re: 2000 Gibson Flatiron Cadet

Thanks Chris--that's exactly what I'm concerned about. I know the regular Flatiron/Gibson 1N and family have a good reputation, but the Cadet hasn't been on my radar before. Anyone else have deeper insight on this model?
    Howard Morris Oval-hole A-style Mandolin
    Ohana BK-70R Bar. Uke, cust. nylon string set in GDAE
    Kala U-Bass
    Krappy Guitars Custom Radiused Fretted Electric Upright Bass