Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Thile at Carnegie May 8

  1. #1

    Default Thile at Carnegie May 8

    Does anyone know for certain what the order is for Thile at Carnegie Hall, May 8.

    Is it Punch Bros first; Nickel Creek second, or the other way around.

    Thx.
    Weber Signature Artist

    2019 Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

    www.michaeleck.com
    www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck
    www.jugstompers.com
    www.lostradiorounders.com

  2. #2
    Phil Goodson Philphool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Statesville, NC
    Posts
    3,007

    Default Re: Thile at Carnegie May 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Eck View Post
    Does anyone know for certain what the order is for Thile at Carnegie Hall, May 8.

    Is it Punch Bros first; Nickel Creek second, or the other way around.

    Thx.
    https://www.carnegiehall.org/Calenda...rothers-0800PM

    Surely it will be 'ladies first', don't you think?
    Phil

    “Sharps/Flats” ≠ “Accidentals”

  3. #3

    Default Re: Thile at Carnegie May 8

    Really looking forward to this show tomorrow! Who else is going?

    For the first time, Nickel Creek and Punch Brothers appear on the same bill for an evening that features the two main branches of Chris Thile’s musical family tree.

    Performers
    Nickel Creek
    ·· Chris Thile, Mandolin
    ·· Sara Watkins, Fiddle
    ·· Sean Watkins, Guitar
    Punch Brothers
    ·· Chris Eldridge, Guitar
    ·· Paul Kowert, Bass
    ·· Noam Pikelny, Banjo
    ·· Chris Thile, Mandolin
    ·· Gabe Witcher, Fiddle
    BradKlein
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

  4. #4
    Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Frederick,MD
    Posts
    2,294

    Default Re: Thile at Carnegie May 8

    Hmmm... If I started out now, I could be in NYC in time for the show,assuming there were still tickets.

    Are they taking that whole lineup on the road?
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Thile at Carnegie May 8

    Would love to see Thile play. He's responsible for me picking-up the mando about 15 years ago. I later heard that he'd played in some little festival 50 miles away (in Red Lodge, MT) just before I got into the mando. Still bums me out that I missed him. Not likely that I won't have to drive at least 8 hours to see him these days. But I'll keep watching and waiting. Enjoy the show!

    P.S. I would be ecstatic to attend a festival type show that had Nickel Creek, Punch Brothers, I'm With Her, and Sarah Jarosz all on the bill. Thile and Jarosz are by far my favorite bluegrass/newgrass/Americana/whatever artists.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Thile at Carnegie May 8

    ...and will Thile change clothes between sets? So many questions!

    And it’s true that if they added Aoife and SJ and their bands, Julian Lage and Michael Daves, you’d have a complete festival line up.
    BradKlein
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

  7. #7

    Default Re: Thile at Carnegie May 8

    That'd be a thing. Eh!? I'll be there tonight. I've seen the entire Carnegie series.

  8. The following members say thank you to Michael Eck for this post:


  9. #8

    Default Re: Thile at Carnegie May 8

    Punch Bros just killed it! Wow.

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    3,533

    Default Re: Thile at Carnegie May 8

    Saw them in Charlotte last fall, and, yeah, they’re really on top of their game!
    Chuck

  11. #10

    Default Re: Thile at Carnegie May 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Eck View Post
    Punch Bros just killed it! Wow.
    I'll bet they did. Insane amounts of talent there, and to pull off such complicated material, so tightly as a group... just amazing.

  12. #11

    Default Re: Thile at Carnegie May 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
    I'll bet they did. Insane amounts of talent there, and to pull off such complicated material, so tightly as a group... just amazing.
    Nickel Creek—no slouching' either.
    Weber Signature Artist

    2019 Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

    www.michaeleck.com
    www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck
    www.jugstompers.com
    www.lostradiorounders.com

  13. #12

    Default Re: Thile at Carnegie May 8

    A very special night. The Carnegie Hall debut for Nickel Creek, and a sentimental evening for the many who have followed that band for so long. I don't think I'm betraying any confidences by relating that Sarah Jarosz (seated nearby) told me how moved she was, and grateful to that band for inspiring her career as a musician. And I noted other musicians including Tony Trischka in the audience, and lingering to celebrate after the show.

    As always, the acoustics of the big Isaac Stern hall are very noticeable, almost an uncredited collaborator in the show. That's a hall that loves a violin! And so Sara and Gabe are the biggest winners in that room. Vocals blend in a special and lovely way. It's quieter than most rooms where you'll hear Punch Brothers - who played around a single mic. NC was multiple mics and directs. Crank the sound in that hall and you'd just get mud. They're wise enough to keep it a bit quieter and you need to listen a bit 'harder'. Also, (almost) no cell phone cameras in view - which can be a nice change these days.
    BradKlein
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:


  15. #13

    Default Re: Thile at Carnegie May 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Eck View Post
    Is it Punch Bros first; Nickel Creek second, or the other way around.
    Since Michael’s question started the thread, I should have mentioned that Punch Bros went first. With their single mic approach in this space, and there greater complexity, it was a good choice. N.C. was able to finish w familiar high energy songs.
    BradKlein
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:


  17. #14
    Registered User Ken_P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    490

    Default Re: Thile at Carnegie May 8

    It was indeed a great night. I think the thing that struck me most was that it was really 20+ years of musical evolution on display, at least for Chris (it's his residency at Carnegie, after all). Punch Brothers came out and did their usual thing, their meticulously crafted compositions performed with astonishing skill. No matter how good you think this band is, they're better than that.

    After the intermission NC came out with high energy, Sara and Sean were clearly thrilled to be there, and did songs from their whole catalog (at least as far back as their first major commercial release) and the crowd was really into it. Hearing the two bands back to back you really got a sense of the scope of how far Chris has come as a musician and composer. Nickel Creek songs are largely standard songs, intro, verse, chorus, solo. With Punch Brothers you maintain that same great level of musicianship but the songs are so much more complex and intricate. I feel like there's a real chamber music quality, particularly with the last couple album's worth of material.

    The great thing, of course, is that both styles make for great music and when you have musicians of that skill on stage, they make everything sound good. I hope they do this again at some point, it really was wonderful to see everyone on stage together.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken_P For This Useful Post:


  19. #15

    Default Re: Thile at Carnegie May 8

    It was a great finish to a great residency. I came down from Albany for all five shows.

    "Tomorrow is a Long Time." Just blissful.
    Weber Signature Artist

    2019 Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

    www.michaeleck.com
    www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck
    www.jugstompers.com
    www.lostradiorounders.com

  20. #16

    Default Re: Thile at Carnegie May 8

    Quote Originally Posted by BradKlein View Post
    A very special night. The Carnegie Hall debut for Nickel Creek, and a sentimental evening for the many who have followed that band for so long. I don't think I'm betraying any confidences by relating that Sarah Jarosz (seated nearby) told me how moved she was, and grateful to that band for inspiring her career as a musician. And I noted other musicians including Tony Trischka in the audience, and lingering to celebrate after the show.

    As always, the acoustics of the big Isaac Stern hall are very noticeable, almost an uncredited collaborator in the show. That's a hall that loves a violin! And so Sara and Gabe are the biggest winners in that room. Vocals blend in a special and lovely way. It's quieter than most rooms where you'll hear Punch Brothers - who played around a single mic. NC was multiple mics and directs. Crank the sound in that hall and you'd just get mud. They're wise enough to keep it a bit quieter and you need to listen a bit 'harder'. Also, (almost) no cell phone cameras in view - which can be a nice change these days.
    Wow... so much talent in that room! Very cool stuff.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •