Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grieving Sally Goodin

Default Grieving Sally Goodin

Our dog Sally Goodin went to heaven Sunday morning, May 5. Sally was a 9 year old Sheltie, the most loving, sweet and polite dog. She was a treasure.
    9 years ago my wife, who worked at an animal hospital, told me she wanted a dog. I had never owned a dog, and I resisted.....then I gave in. She brought a sheltie puppy that was rescued from a puppy mill. I fell in love with the puppy immediately and named her Sally Goodin, which is the only mandolin content here.
    She was my biggest fan. I’ve done a lot of crying this week, and it’s very difficult to play “you are my sunshine” because I used to play that for Sally at bedtime.
    This is my first time losing a pet and it is devastating.
    Any advice on working through the loss of an angel like Sally Goodin?
    I appreciate it.
    Bob
    re simmers

Default Re: Grieving Sally Goodin

You could play Sally Good'in...

sorry to hear of your loss. I well know the empty spot they leave. I think every person has an own way of grieving loss, but no matter, there is simply that walk you have to go thru until it ends. Dogs/cats are so different than people, in that I really believe they love unconditionally. I currently have 5 dogs, 16/15/12/10/2 years. all are in very good condition and without issues, but I know the day is coming. 3 cats, 5/2/1 years of age. all the dogs and cats are rescue.

you learn the sound of the animal, how they walk thru your house, how they breath at night when asleep. you miss that and you immediately know the lack of the sounds you are used to hearing.

I'm not sure when the time might be right for you, but keep in mind there are many amazing dogs and cats out there that need a love filled home(and yours sounds like that) , and will give it in return.

d

We all feel a little silly at times grieving for an animal companion but those of us who have lived with a beloved pet understand what it is like to lose him or her. They are an integral part of our lives and create a hole when they must leave us. We lost our beloved schnauzer about a year and half ago and luckily my older daughter was able to come home and say goodbye to him. My kids grew up with him. Condolences to you and your wife.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Hi Bob,

I am really sorry for what you are going through. I have been there and know that I will be again. It is never easy, and the only thing that helps me is time. I haven't found a way to hurry it along and am not sure I would want to. The grief you feel is a way of acknowledging and showing respect for the deep relationship you shared. In time you may see that there is real value in that. You have lost a member of your family, and one you chose as a family member, at that. I really feel for you. Know that you are not alone.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Bob, so sorry to hear about Sally. As a pet owner for the past 30 years, I've lost quite a few fur kids. The loss is never easier and the hole is never smaller. Most of them have their own 'song' and I still think of them when I sing it. I'm thinking of you and Sally and all my lost kids today. Keep singing your songs to Sally, cause I think she hears them.

Relish the good memories. Time really does heal. Hang in there.

Sorry for your loss
    Chuck

"There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love." -Washington Irving
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scotter For This Useful Post:

Bob, so sorry about Sally Goodin. I have owned cats and dogs since I was a child, have lost many over the last 50+ years. I grieve, but there is always another animal that needs a home ready and waiting to come live with me. Currently 2 dogs and 3 house cats and I am never really sure how many barn cats are living here. My oldest cat is 20+ years old, has cancer but is happy and eating well and not in pain, so her time is short - if she gets in pain I will put her down, and it will be very hard again. But I can't imagine life without my "furry friends." They don't judge me, and sometimes we need beings that accept us just as we are, warts and all.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Love of the four footed … pet is too small a word to describe the give and take between people and their animal associates. Keep in mind that Sally would miss you as much .. or more. I am truly sorry for your loss. R/
    PS …. for a smile you could play Sal's Got Mud Between Her Toes …. R/
    Last edited by UsuallyPickin; May-09-2019 at 8:35am. Reason: added post script
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Bob, I’m sorry for your loss. It’s not easy to get through this. It takes time. I’ve been there. We lost the little pup in my avatar picture. I can’t think of anything that’s much harder to go through. My prayers are with you!

Bob, I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my sweet Pinot Noir kitty boy just over a year ago - 12 years ago I cried on my Metro commute and in the bathroom at work over the loss of my kitty girl Smokey - I miss them every day just like it was yesterday. With time I am able to smile but it will always hurt. When I knew the time had come for Pinot I couldn’t help but thinking this was his “Last day on Earth” so it’s been hard for me to hear that particular tune...time though is indeed our friend - I heard the tune the other day and actually smiled a little. My deepest condolences to you and your family.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Blog Entries

I keep the memory of my feline friend on my avatar. Some other's do this too it seems.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Bob, there are no words to express the feeling of loss when we lose our animals. We spend time offering them everything we can, they provide so much boundless gratitude in the companionship they give.
    Grieving Sally Goodin might have to be a little blue tune. If I figure out something I’ll record it!
    My deepest condolences.
    Tim
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Blog Entries

Our pets are often closer than work colleagues and even most friends. I know your loss. It hurts. It's real. Grieve. I'm sorry for your loss. It's especially hard when you're the one in the house the pet is closest to. They often pick a person as theirs.

Maybe print some photos. Have a burial or memorial service for her even if its just you and your wife.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JEStanek For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I am so sorry you have lost your beloved dog. I must say, I have lost a number of animals through natural causes. 4 dogs in all and it has been heart ache upon heart ache. The last was a Black Lab named Jamaica who became such a part of us after our sons were grown and out of the house. She died at 11 plus years. The grieving process doesn't have any short cuts, that much I have learned. Sometimes I sing and play while I think of Jamaica-- particularly the song of the same name by Jackson Browne. It has been five years and it hurts still but it does get better. Best wishes.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

I've been a Veterinarian for 24 years and have worked in an animal shelter for the last 12 years...
    wish that I had the magic words to say to make it better - but I don't.

Lots of words of wisdom already offered - just wanted to say that I've been there too and that my thoughts are with you.

Kirk

21. The following members say thank you to tiltman for this post:

So sorry to hear Bob. I've lost a few great dogs and cats over the years. No matter how small they leave big holes in our lives and hearts.

Thank you all for the kind words. I’m doing a little better.
    Sally was my first pet. Like the 60 year old child that I am, I never considered our life without Sally. When she was diagnosed with cancer we got a 2nd opinion who took a biopsy; it revealed infection, but no cancer. We got abx, but the vet said there could still be a tumor surrounded by infection. I chose to believe the abx would work. I never thought this could happen to Sally.
    Then Sally struggled to breathe, which was caused by the tumor growing into her lungs. We had agreed we would not allow her to suffer.
    Death is just so “final.” I come home from work, ready to see and hear her jumping up and down at the back door...and my heart drops. Today is the first day I didn’t cry as I walked in the door. I need to figure out how to post a picture.
    I appreciate the counseling here, and I follow the advice!
    Bob

24. The following members say thank you to re simmers for this post:

I don’t think we ever get over losing them - I still grieve over the loss of my English Labrador and it’s been 29 years since he left. What has always gotten me through it though is knowing he had an incredible life and he enriched mine immensely. I have a Sheltie as well right now and she’s almost 10. I’m preparing myself for ‘that’ time which I know will come soon. I hope you’ve found some comfort in this post Take care and play your music.

Dogs are amazing. A friend has had Shelties for many years. Her description, and this is not uncommon in Shelties, was "The dog lived to please me. It was her life." I lost my trusty Golden Retriever after 13 years and it was unbearable for a time, but now, a few years later I'm looking for my next dog. I really wanted a sheltie myself, but I decided to get a "whatever" from the shelter and pay it forward to the animal world. I've had mutts most of my life, there are no bad dogs. A least I haven't found one. Ruby was never a fan of either my guitar or mandolin playing but my cat appreciates an open case.

So sorry, Bob. I know what you are going through.

Five years ago I lost my sidekick, Kisses. A little white miniature poodle. For about a month I was not myself. It is amazing how much "personality" a pet adds to a household and how it is missed when they are gone.

The day before my birthday, my wife brought home Molly, a small black mixed breed puppy from our local animal shelter. I didn't think I was ready for a new dog, but my wife and Molly knew better...........

Grieving is hard, but having Molly changed my focus for the better.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Mando For This Useful Post:

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

I firmly believe we will one day be reunited with our little friends, who will guide us to the fields of our youth where we will play together once again.
    Keep your chin up, Bob.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Slowly getting accustomed to life without Sally Goodin....not something I ever wanted to do. I still find myself wanting to call her name, expecting to hear her bark, and to see her looking at me with her innocent big brown eyes. But I am learning to accept it, and cherish the memories, and sometimes still cry.
    Bob

31. The following members say thank you to re simmers for this post: