Thread: Any one have opinions on the best amp for use with a Bagg Radius

Default Any one have opinions on the best amp for use with a Bagg Radius

Hi Mando people,
    I am Sims DP. Have been using an acoustic image ten2 and loving it but am starting to wonder if I can do better. I have fallen in love with the Baggs Radius and just bought a Baggs Venue pre-amp. Have been using the K&K pre amp since the pick up b4 the radius was K&K. I am looking at a Schertler David and a Baggs Core 1. Thanks a ton -- Sims

Default Re: Any one have opinions on the best amp for use with a Bagg Rad

I have a Gibson F4 that I sometimes use with an LR Baggs. In that case, it's usually plugged into a system. On very rare occasions, however, I've plugged it into my Roland 90W amp and it sounds great.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

If you are needing an acoustic amp, the best one that I have used is the Fishman Loudbox Performer.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Fishman and Roland are both companies worth looking into for amps. Both companies make reliable products. I use a Fishman Loudbox Mini for small venues and for larger areas I use it as a monitor and run a low Z cable from it to the board. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Blog Entries

FYI - he does state he is using a Ten2 amp which without hearing I can guess outclasses the Fishman or Roland products - more in the AER and such level of professional-level amps.

I was going to chime in, but a quick google had me drooling over the amp he's looking to upgrade.

https://www.acousticimg.com/#/product/ten2

That said, Sims if you want to trade your Ten2 for my Roland amp - I live across town and will be there in the hour before you can reconsider
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

The biggest secret to great sound out of the Radius is the eq'ing on the Venue. Beyond that, I don't know that there is much better in amps than the Schertler David. In that price/quality/features neighborhood, a Henriksen The Bud might be a bit smaller profile for a few more shekels but I've never A-B'd them for a sound comparison.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10