Thread: 12 String Mandolin

Default 12 String Mandolin

I need to replace the tuner/machine on my 12 string mandolin. Some of the pegs are loose from excessive wear to the spirals over time, and when I least expect it, the corresponding strings go out of tune. Although the cogs are OK, I need to, unfortunately, replace the entire mechanism because the different parts are attached with rivets, instead of screws. The distance between stems is 23mm, and their height is also 23mm. Can somebody point me in the right direction as to where I can order replacements? Thank you.

Default Re: 12 String Mandolin

I think you may have a problem finding these but I guess I could be surprised. I don't recall ever seeing any for sale new and the 12 string guitar tuners I just looked at appear to be 23.42 mm post centers with 26.92 mm post height. Take a look through the late Paul Hostetter's tuner repair and servicing site and make sure you can't bring them back to life. It is here.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

You may just have to buy another 12 string mandolin if you can't repair the ones you have. Is yours a bowlback? The most common here in North America are the Oscar Schmidt ones. OTOH if worse comes to worse just string it as an 8-string.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

One strategy that's worked for me a couple times, is to check with local instrument dealers and repair shops (assuming you have some), and asking if they have any tuners taken off unrepairable mandolins. Most shops I know have one or more "junk drawers" with parts cannibalized off discarded instruments -- tuners, bridges, tailpieces etc.

Twelve-string mandolins (mandriolas) are not common, and quite possibly a local shop will never have had one to cannibalize, but it's worth a couple phone calls. Also, second Mike E's recommendation of trying repairs; it's surprising how many "hopeless" tuners can be made decently serviceable.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Are your tuners side fitting or rear fitting?
    Mandolins: Bandolim by Antonio Pereira Cabral
    German flatback mandola by unknown maker converted from a descant Waldzither

Rubner will make custom tuners for specific designs for 6-on-a-plate and specific spacing.

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

I am interested in purchasing an inexpensive 12 string mandolin. Can you lead me in the right direction.

From site administrator: Please post in the classifieds. The forum is a non-commerce zone.

8. The following members say thank you to Delraydan for this post: