Thread: A plans,

Default A plans,

I am considering doing an A model, next.
    Are the graduations the same as an f? and is A just a F model with about half the work involved? Are there A plans out there? I have Adrians Loar plans and they are well Great, thanks
    Mike Marrs

Default Re: A plans,

Take a look at this recent thread.

Charlie Derrington pretty much made the later Gibson A models an F with the points and scroll cut off. I believe that was for production purposes. The original Ms. Griffith Loar, the original A5 was based on the old A body shape and size with the longer neck.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Yes, the graduations are the same. Stew-Mac has A style plans drawn by Don Macrostie:
    https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Bluep...olin_Plan.html
    Between that and Adrian's plans, you should be in good shape.

Am under the impression that what changes they way you will tackle graduations for the top will be dictated on whether it is and A hole or F hole not so much F style vs A style body.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

You could use Adrians plan. Just draw a line that eliminates the scroll and take that and mirror image the bass side for the treble side instead of using the other side of the print with the points removed to insure it's balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    You could use Adrians plan. Just draw a line that eliminates the scroll and take that and mirror image the bass side for the treble side instead of using the other side of the print with the points removed to insure it's balanced.
    actually I considered that , and that when I get my drawing, I will fold it in half to be exact, thanks
    Mike Marrs

Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    actually I considered that , and that when I get my drawing, I will fold it in half to be exact, thanks
    I've done exactly this using a blueprint by Bill Halsey from back in the revamping of Gibson days. It does produce a hybrid compared to the older traditional A's, less of a gourd neck shape up around the neck joint and a longer neck. I like both of these traits for easier upper fret access. Carving and binding that scroll is a LOT of work!