Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4- vs 8-string electric mandos

Default 4- vs 8-string electric mandos

I recently got a hankering to get a solidbody electric mandolin. I am unsure of whether to go 4 or 8 string. It would seem like a 4 string would be more guitar like and allow string bending and other techniques. But, will I lose the mando sound? Thoughts?

Default Re: 4- vs 8-string electric mandos

Yep, that's the tradeoff. A 4-string sounds like a guitar; an 8-string sounds more like a mandolin.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

If you are anywhere near Andover, look into this one. I've tried to buy it but the seller doesn't seem interested in a long-distance sale. https://us.letgo.com/en/i/mandoblast...a-2119f31f3c33

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

If you get an 8 string, you can always play it as a 4 string.
    "it's not in bad taste, if it's funny" - john waters

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Rosett For This Useful Post:

I've never seriously toyed with emandos until I got a bad case of EMAS recently. My first desire is to sound like a guitar, so waiting for the 4 string to arrive. Also thinking of an eOM, but I will get an 8 string (more choices there by far) and just remove 4 strings to start with. I'm also starting with the budget eastwoods to see if the eMando thing is just a phase or not.

I have plenty of pedals already to play with. Delay, reverb, and compressor for that singing sustained clean tone will be where I start...

Honest question: what is the purpose of a 4-string mando? Mainly as a tool for mandolin players to get a [small] guitar sound? I'm a lifelong guitar player and have owned probably a couple hundred guitars, and maybe 25-50 "other". The thing that I love about the mando is the zingy, chorusy sound of the high-tuned pairs of strings. To me, a 4-string mando would be kind of like taking six strings off a 12-string guitar. It'd just be a guitar. I guess that a 4-string mando to me would be like a steel string ukulele.

Sometimes a "small" guitar sound is what is needed and it's presented in a fifths rather than fourths/third tuning format and that may be most familiar to the player. I'm a big fan of having one of each, a 4 and 8 string (although I would opt for a 5 string emando).

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Yep, that's the tradeoff. A 4-string sounds like a guitar; an 8-string sounds more like a mandolin.
    Yep, that's for sure Martin about the 4 string but you can plug in, turn it all up to 11 and harness "The Sound Of The Lord Of The Flies"

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

8 into 4 conversion of an EM 150 as a CGDA tuned electric-acoustic mandola works well

perfect solution for the weak E string is it doesn't have one ..

little different sound than a solid body..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    If you are anywhere near Andover, look into this one. I've tried to buy it but the seller doesn't seem interested in a long-distance sale. https://us.letgo.com/en/i/mandoblast...a-2119f31f3c33
    Thanks. Do you know much about this brand and model you can share?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    Thanks. Do you know much about this brand and model you can share?
    it's a great price. MSRP $850; when available, the discount price at Elderly is $637.50. So if you don't like it, you can easily get your money back out of it. The Blue Star Mandoblaster is a cut or two above other entry-level emandos; some pro bands use them (Otis Taylor, BR5-49).

It's not a serious consideration but string bending is easier with single strings.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

14. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
    Honest question: what is the purpose of a 4-string mando? Mainly as a tool for mandolin players to get a [small] guitar sound? I'm a lifelong guitar player and have owned probably a couple hundred guitars, and maybe 25-50 "other". The thing that I love about the mando is the zingy, chorusy sound of the high-tuned pairs of strings. To me, a 4-string mando would be kind of like taking six strings off a 12-string guitar. It'd just be a guitar. I guess that a 4-string mando to me would be like a steel string ukulele.
    Listen to Paul Buskirk, Tiny Moore, Eldon Shamblin, Johnny Gimbel, Alex Gregory, Ricky Skaggs, Mike Lampert, Michael Kang, Jason Anick, and a few others.

For me the 4 and 5 string emandos are useful hybrids in terms of sounds. The chord inversions and arpeggios are all mandolin while the melodies and riffs are more guitar-like. It adds something interesting to a recording without screaming MANDOLIN at the listener.

I am using a JBovier EMC-5 extensively recording my new CD. I'm doubling up some regular mandolin lines, adding rhythm parts, and also using it in place of electric guitar.

Playing a 5 string, I can get into a decent amount of the guitar's range. So it's a bit easier to use as a vocal accompaniment.

Tonal palettes are nearly as broad as an electric guitar's, but I still get to play in 5ths.

Hope that's helpful.

Daniel

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Nestlerode For This Useful Post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

You get mandolin voicing without the high overtones that the amplified strings get. I’m an ok jazz guitarist, but much better on mandolin. I can play an electric set. It does sound somewhat like a guitar, but the range and the voicing are different.

Some prefer the 8 string. But I found I can tame a four string more to my liking. Maybe if I had an eight I’d learn.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I like a 4 or 5 string the best but i enjoy playing my 8 string ones also , you might end up with both, or should i say all 3 of them a 4 , 5 , 8 strings
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

With a four string, you can cut your tuning time and string costs in half!

20. The following members say thank you to Dave Bradford for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bradford View Post
    With a four string, you can cut your tuning time and string costs in half!

Ha ha! Worthy considerations! Seems like when you double the number of strings, you triple the tuning "fun". I love the sound of my 12-strings, but don't always enjoy stringing and tuning them. Fortunately, they stay in tune pretty well once they're tuned for the day (as do my mandos).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nestlerode View Post
    Listen to Paul Buskirk, Tiny Moore, Eldon Shamblin, Johnny Gimbel, Alex Gregory, Ricky Skaggs, Mike Lampert, Michael Kang, Jason Anick, and a few others.

For me the 4 and 5 string emandos are useful hybrids in terms of sounds. The chord inversions and arpeggios are all mandolin while the melodies and riffs are more guitar-like. It adds something interesting to a recording without screaming MANDOLIN at the listener.

I am using a JBovier EMC-5 extensively recording my new CD. I'm doubling up some regular mandolin lines, adding rhythm parts, and also using it in place of electric guitar.

Playing a 5 string, I can get into a decent amount of the guitar's range. So it's a bit easier to use as a vocal accompaniment.

Tonal palettes are nearly as broad as an electric guitar's, but I still get to play in 5ths.

Hope that's helpful.

Daniel
    Good info. Thanks!

This thread has helped me too, even though I had already decided to start with a 4 string, I hadn't heard others' thoughts. In my case I can't play guitar for beans, but 5ths tuning on 4 courses is getting easier every day, so it will scratch my guitar envy nicely. An eOM will get me exactly into guitar range too. Not sure I could handle 5 strings though, for melodies sure, but for chords seems like It would defeat the simplicity of just 4 courses.

I am hoping it arrives today...

Ha ha! Worthy considerations! Seems like when you double the number of strings, you triple the tuning "fun". I love the sound of my 12-strings, but don't always enjoy stringing and tuning them. Fortunately, they stay in tune pretty well once they're tuned for the day (as do my mandos).

- - - Updated - - -

Good info. Thanks!
    I made a hammered dulcimer once. Never again. It takes 2 months to tune one of those things.
    David Hopkins

McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

I have owned both 4- and 8-string electric mandolins. I liked the 8-string better for chording. The 4-string was good for melodic lines, but not so much for chording.

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

For the normal mandolin scale neck and tuning, I myself prefer an 8-string. Single-strings that high up are just too piercing sonically for me, and I'd opt to go lower. I have a mini-strat conversion to 5-string tuned GDAEa which is an octave lower with a high 'a' string on the top. Scale length was shortened (from 19" to 17", though if I were to do it over, I'd go with 18").

You can't play an electric the same way as you would acoustic. Full 4-string chords on an 8-string sound pretty muddy.

However, you can play an acoustic like you would an electric much more successfully. So much of it is vocabulary, left-hand touch, slurring, varying RH attack and muting. (There is absolutely NOTHING I hate more than to hear someone play Monroe style on an electric 8-string.)

Here's an example of the last paragraph. This is played on my (acoustic) Gibson F4 with a Fishman bridge pickup, plugged directly into a Russian made amp. No pre-amps or pedal effects...just physical hand techniques and vocabulary. It's a little ragged cause the bass player and drummer I was jamming with onstage were a couple of 16-year old Finnish kids and they were nervous and stuff
    https://soundcloud.com/user-643522979/15-purplehazelive

Now here's another example, using my electric 5-string in a Fairport Convention/Steeleye Span folk rock setting. I have no desire to sound like a "mandolin" at all, and if people automatically hear it as an electric guitar, I am just fine with that.
    https://soundcloud.com/user-643522979/garry-owen

Here a pic of my elec 5-string...

Niles H
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wolf Guitar.details.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	176553  

Mandocrucian tracks on SoundCloud

CoMando Guest of the Week 2003 interview of Niles

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

26. The following members say thank you to mandocrucian for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    I made a hammered dulcimer once. Never again. It takes 2 months to tune one of those things.

LOL! Yeah... that makes me cringe just thinking about tuning.

I bought a cheap Kentucky 300e four-string emando and took one hour to replace the cheap lipstick pickup with a Bill Lawrence set of hotrails, and I couldn't be happier with it. Looking for a better amp, but the mando itself is great.

LOL! Yeah... that makes me cringe just thinking about tuning.
    It takes longer to tune a hammered dulcimer than it does to make one.
    David Hopkins

30. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

I recently joined the electric mandolin club. After a long debate about all the various build styles, and different ways we might amplify a mandolin, I chose an 8-string solid body, a classic Gibson EM200 and couldn't be happier. Have had it for about two weeks, and took it to a brewery gig last weekend where it sang through a Fender Super Champ XD. At home (and for larger gigs) it pairs with a Vox AC30 and a pedal board.

The P90 pick-ups really shine using the volume knob to go between clean, crunch, and lead tones. Very easy to find the 'sweet spot' where playing dynamics bring out the 'woof' of overdrive, almost as if it were an F-holed archtop. To Niles point, you can totally play Monroe style with this set-up.

But also to Nile's point... why do that! Current favorite tones right now remind of Steve Hackett's work on The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.