Thread: Realistic Value of a Particular Mandolin

Default Realistic Value of a Particular Mandolin

A Gibson F5 may be coming up for local sale. I have no financial connection, and I haven't seen it in person yet, but I'd like to get some feel for a realistic value in today's market.

It's a 2001 F5 Fern Master Model, signed by Danny Roberts.

I realize that condition is an important factor.

Can anyone here weigh in on this?

Much appreciated!

Default Re: Realistic Value of a Particular Mandolin

I passed on a 2001 Roberts signed Fern a few years ago. It was in super nice condition with original burgundy lined case. One of the first years with the dovetail neck joint IIRC. All good stuff but I just wasn't sold on the tone. Looking back, I probably should have bought it, played it for a while and given it a fair chance... set-up, strings etc.

The asking price was 5K. I think that's right there in the ballpark as far a price for that year and model. A really great condition, great sounding example should bring more. A dud... not as much.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

These days probably 6000-6500 range for one in nice shape. Looks good and ready to play.

Adam

Thanks for your responses. Very helpful.

There's an f5L Fern in the Classifieds almost 10 years older than yours. Average condition from what I can tell. The music store that is selling it is asking 10K. Not sure if this info helps you or not but I thought I'd add it for your consideration.

If there's a good answer to your question, I think it is... Ask whatever you want to ask and hope for the best.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Teacher, repair person

The store mentioned in the previous post often lists used instruments at 50% to 80% greater than standard market prices.
    Some of their used instruments have been sitting there for years without selling.
    I would look elsewhere to estimate an instrument's realistic market value.
    Last edited by rcc56; Jan-25-2024 at 3:17pm.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post: