Thread: Web based backing track tool?

Default Web based backing track tool?

There was some web-based backing track tool I ran across last year that was like $5 a month or something, with bluegrass tracks and such all pre configured for easy practicing.

For the life of me I can not find it by doing endless google and forum searches.

Does this ring any bells for anybody?
    Scott R.
    -
    2019 Ellis F5 Special #464 - Facebook Build
    2017 Pava A5 Pro - Autumn Burst
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

Want to list your instruments with galleries in your signature?
    Check out RuttList Instrument Archive to create your own galleries for free.

2. The following members say thank you to Scott R for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Web based backing track tool?

I really like flatpick apprentice, but I think you are asking about strum machine.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

4. The following members say thank you to Markus for this post:

There is this one that is free and ok for practicing:
    http://www.fbbts.com/Tunes.html
    Mandolins: Northfield 5-Bar Artist Model "Old Dog", J Bovier F5 Special, Gibson A-00 (1940)
    Fiddles: 1920s Strad copy, 1930s Strad copy, Liu Xi T20, Liu Xi T19+ Dark.
    Guitars: Taylor 514c (1995), Gibson Southern Jumbo (1940s), Gibson L-48 (1940s), Les Paul Custom (1978), Fender Strat (Black/RWFB) (1984), Fender Strat (Candy Apple Red/MFB) (1985).
    Sitars: Hiren Roy KP (1980s), Naskar (1970s), Naskar (1960s).
    Misc: 8 Course Lute (L.K.Brown)

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CWRoyds For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CWRoyds View Post
    There is this one that is free and ok for practicing:
    http://www.fbbts.com/Tunes.html
    Thank you - haven't found one with Salt Spring before.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

Blog Entries

I put up backing tracks on BBT Backing Tracks channel on YT. If you find a mistake or need a track not listed send me the chord chart..

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark Wilson For This Useful Post:

Strum Machine (https://strummachine.com/).

I've been using it and it's pretty good. Not crazy about the subscription model though.

It's simple to use, and has lot's of functionality for a web-based app.

11. The following members say thank you to gfury for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    I put up backing tracks on BBT Backing Tracks channel on YT. If you find a mistake or need a track not listed send me the chord chart..
    Hi Mark, I don't have a YT account and have been wanting to say thank you for these tracks, I use them all the time! Its great to just let them auto play and I treat it like a jam, if a tune comes up I don't know I chord along and maybe try a little break.

I might have missed it but it would be nice if there was an indication of how many repeats - it seems most tracks are 3 times - and then the ending. In any case I'm not complaining and thanks again for all the fun of playing along with these.

PS - I especially like the Celtic Whiskey Before Breakfast track, keep em' coming...please.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigskygirl For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by gfury View Post
    Strum Machine (https://strummachine.com/).

I've been using it and it's pretty good. Not crazy about the subscription model though.

It's simple to use, and has lot's of functionality for a web-based app.
    I like the ability to add your own tracks or make modified versions of their tracks. I took the plunge with annual subscriptions, and used that service for two years. Moved on after that. The first year, I used it pretty much daily.

It is one of many solutions available to you. I use the ChordPulse program now for some things, as I play mostly non-Bluegrass stuff.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

15. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post

I took the plunge with annual subscriptions, and used that service for two years. Moved on after that. The first year, I used it pretty much daily.
    I see myself doing the same thing. It's huge help for me now, and I see improvements in my playing already. I'm sure I will eventually move on.

For my iDevices, I use iReal Pro. Don Julin turned me onto it:

https://irealpro.com/

Was hoping for something similar web based that my kids could use for practice. Strum machine is what I was thinking of, thank you!
    Scott R.
    -
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

18. The following members say thank you to Scott R for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    For my iDevices, I use iReal Pro. Don Julin turned me onto it:

https://irealpro.com/

Was hoping for something similar web based that my kids could use for practice. Strum machine is what I was thinking of, thank you!
    I looked at iReal Pro. I may eventually switch since it's a one-time fee and available for Android too.

What is the song library like? As you may know Strum Machine is centered on bluegrass and folk (but you can easily add any progression).

The song library is fantastic, because you can find almost anything searching their forums from inside the app. Since it is community provided, a lot of things are available
    Scott R.
    -
    1987 Flatiron F5 Artist

In addition to the forum downloads its easy to share iRealPro files with another user. There are over 300 BG tunes, for any that aren't already done its easy to edit or duplicate existing files for your purpose.

22. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    The song library is fantastic, because you can find almost anything searching their forums from inside the app. Since it is community provided, a lot of things are available
    Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    In addition to the forum downloads its easy to share iRealPro files with another user. There are over 300 BG tunes, for any that aren't already done its easy to edit or duplicate existing files for your purpose.
    So about iRealPro, is it not just for jazz anymore? I tried it once, probably around several years ago, but ended up uninstalling it because all the backing options kinda sounded the same which put me to sleep, like on a public radio easy-listening channel or something, I actually like that kind of music but it wasn't what I was looking for in the way of backing tracks to practice along with, I was looking for more variety of styles/genres, especially some funk and things like that. Maybe it was user-error on my part, maybe I just didn't spend enough time with the app, not sure.

Also, once you get or write the tracks you want, does the app work offline? (without internet or data or wifi connection). I would be using it on Android again. I'm thinking about trying it again but would like to hear more about it first. I already use ChordPulse on my laptop, it has kept me happily occupied for several years now, but I'm certainly not opposed to broadening my horizons with additional apps if the newer version of iRealPro is better than it used to be.

Thanks in advance for any additional info.

maybe not exactly what you want, but I'm thinking mandolessons.com had some backing tracks at one time.

lots of stuff there and it looks like Baron has added a lot more

https://www.mandolessons.com/lessons/all-lessons/

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    So about iRealPro, is it not just for jazz anymore? I tried it once, probably around several years ago, but ended up uninstalling it because all the backing options kinda sounded the same which put me to sleep, like on a public radio easy-listening channel or something, I actually like that kind of music but it wasn't what I was looking for in the way of backing tracks to practice along with, I was looking for more variety of styles/genres, especially some funk and things like that. Maybe it was user-error on my part, maybe I just didn't spend enough time with the app, not sure.

Also, once you get or write the tracks you want, does the app work offline? (without internet or data or wifi connection). I would be using it on Android again. I'm thinking about trying it again but would like to hear more about it first. I already use ChordPulse on my laptop, it has kept me happily occupied for several years now, but I'm certainly not opposed to broadening my horizons with additional apps if the newer version of iRealPro is better than it used to be.

Thanks in advance for any additional info.
    Ive been using it for about 4 years now and they have added new rhythm tracks - I don't recall if I had to purchase them - there is a bluegrass one...its not the greatest but its ok, most selections let one choose from several different instruments. Its fun to sometimes change up the backing track and play along...I especially liked Liberty in the Glam Funk mode...

You install the app and its on your device so yes, you can access anytime, they added an iCloud thing where I can sync across devices now. It used to be I had to export the file and restore on the other device, not sure how android works but probably similar. The support is excellent, anytime I've had a question or an issue they have responded and answered/solved it usually within a few hours.

I think if I want it on my desktop I have to purchase it again but I don't need to its on my iPad and I play it thru a Bose SoundLink speaker when I want really nice sound.

PM me your email and I'll send you a few sound files for you to listen to.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigskygirl For This Useful Post:

You install the app and its on your device so yes, you can access anytime,
    Thanks bigskygirl! It's good when apps have the option to work offline.

... Its fun to sometimes change up the backing track and play along...I especially liked Liberty in the Glam Funk mode...
    That sounded like something I needed to try, so - after reading yours and others' advice here - I installed iReal Pro on my phone, and yep you're right, Glam Funk is fun, and so is Reggae!

Here's my MIDI 'fiddle' tentative arrangement of Liberty with an iRealPro "Reggae" backing track:

(Tech blurb: I wrote the 'fiddle' part in MuseScore on PC, transferred the iRealPro WAV file from phone to PC, then I merged the 'fiddle' and the backing together in Audacity.)

For comparison, IMO the iRealPro reggae etc tracks are in the same fun category as stuff like the Windows PC Chordpulse app's "Beach Night":

On some of these, whether using either iRealPro or Chordpulse, sometimes I set the app tempo to *half* the actual desired tempo and then (IMPORTANT) I make half as many bars *but* all the bars hold twice as many chords... otherwise it sounds too frantic/fast... so it's kinda like a slow backing played to a fast fiddle tune... hard to explain but here's a screenshot of iRealPro bluegrass Liberty (normal) vs iRealPro reggae Liberty (half tempo but same melody speed) - the "before" pic is the version that came in the iRealPro "Bluegrass 300" playlist:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	liberty-before-after.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	406.5 KB 
ID:	177257

... there is a bluegrass one...its not the greatest but its ok, ...
    It's not bad, I think the iRealPro Bluegrass might actually sound a little better than the Chordpulse try at bluegrass. Here's iRealPro Bluegrass Liberty, my same MIDI 'fiddle' on all these audio files here:

In comparison to a sort-of 'acoustic' backing in Chordpulse "Unplugged 16T" (this is actually one of my favorite backing track styles, I use it a lot for practicing all sorts of different tunes), here has the same Liberty melody:

(While I might prefer to include other apps in my comparisons, such as say Band-in-a-Box, unfortunately when I once tried to purchase BIAB it refused to install on my computer and I ended up having to get a BIAB refund, so above here I compared iRealPro and Chordpulse because those are the only two backing apps I've been able to get working.)

An' yeah, I guess I'm off-topic here and probably not of much use to the OP who wanted web-based backing tracks ... but since the OP question has already been answered (I think?) I hope I'm not too far out of line.

------------

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jess L. For This Useful Post:

Y'all,

I've had iReal Pro for awhile and have mainly used it for practicing Swing Guitar and Gypsy Jazz. I recently did a search on the iPhone App and found that they have new rhythm tracks including some new country and bluegrass versions that aren't too bad for practicing especially with a pair of bluetooth headphones. It's like practicing with a metronome but better.

If you click onto the forums section on the iPhone app and then click onto the "Bluegrass, Country" you can find sections and instantaneously download the following:

Parking Lot Picker's Songbook (216 songs)
    Bluegrass 300
    Country 50
    and Petimar bluegrass songs and fiddle tunes list

I'm quite happy with using these for practice as I can slowly dial up the tempo or change the key which is a feature that YouTube doesn't offer, although I really appreciate the effort that Mark Wilson made.

But, I found a glitch that has me a bit flustered. For instance, some of the AABB fiddle tunes are notated with the AA section of the tune in the A section of the App and the BB section of the tune in the B section of the App. The problem is that the iReal Pro App will play whatever is notated in an AABB fashion. So, for instance, "Saint Anne's Reel" gets played back as AAAA followed by BBBB. This is also the case for the one listed as ""The 8th of January (Battle of New Orleans). I'm guessing that this is the case for other fiddle tunes.

Does anyone know of remedy for this?
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

OK, I may be answering my own question here but I found this easy tutorial on YouTube for making your own charts on iReal Pro using the "Blank" option when you click onto the "+" at the upper right corner of the "Song" section of the app.

It only took me a few minutes to make my own version of "The Eighth of January" that now plays the whole section properly as AABB.
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

Hi scotter, I’m not sure I understand your question but it sounds like you figured out how to make your own chord sheet. I have noticed that sometimes things are not as I - or my jam group - would play them so I just edit it. Also, you can duplicate and tune you already have in the form you want and just edit the key, chords, etc.

I am still working on figuring out how to insert text and things like fine, codas, etc.