Thread: Continental

Default Continental

Anyone out there have any info on Continental mandolins? One just came my way at a bargain so I picked it up more or less for the aesthetics of it. Interesting piece. Not prize worthy just interesting. I seem to recall hearing that these or at least Continental labeled guitars were perhaps made by Kay, Harmony or the like.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6DCE0DB8-8974-4549-8A7D-E1CD905BB3F3-3646-000001B16938C7DF.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	176508

Name:	647594529134054in.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	176509

Name:	457679329134055in.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	176510

Default Re: Continental

Regal "reverse scroll" mandolin. Is the top arched? Perhaps similar to this one?

The body design, and the integrated scroll and neck block, are attributed to Regal president Frank Nordick, who filed patents in 1911 and 1914. Check out descriptions in Bob Carlin's Regal Musical Instruments, 1895-1955, pp. 63-4 and 81.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

3. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Allen, yes it has an arch. Not too pronounced but arched. The images in the link you posted are spot on. So, it's safe to assume that Continental was a Regal with farmed out labeling?

5. The following members say thank you to GDog for this post:

Regal built "for the trade" as well as their own brand names. If a teacher or retailer wanted to brand them as their own Regal (and Harmony and Kay) would just build them.They probably built more of these with someone else's label on them or no label at all than they did with their own brand name on it. Allen is correct, it's a Regal Reverse Scroll.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

7. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Appreciate the info guys!

One last question. Given the Regal time frame, it's safe to assume this Continental is pre 1955

Quote Originally Posted by GDog View Post
    One last question. Given the Regal time frame, it's safe to assume this Continental is pre 1955
    Definitely, probably pre 1940. Get a copy of Bob Carlin's book Regal Musical Instruments 1895-1955. You probably won't find the instrument but you'll find the shape of the headstock, the tuners, the body shape, etc. There's a catalog page from 1939 with three A style bodied mandolins with the same headstock shape and f hole design.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

The Mugwumps Index of American Fretted Musical Instrument Makers, which is about as comprehensive as you can get, doesn't list "Continental" as one of the instrument labels. But, as Mike E accurately points out, the big instrument manufacturers often ran off a bunch of specialty-labeled instruments, using their basic designs, for individual stores, teachers, even individual players. I'm guessing that's what you have here.

Good luck with it! I'm a big Regal fan -- decently made, journeyman-quality instruments, mostly, many of which have survived and are still playing. I currently gig with a hybrid Regal banjo (old tenor "pot" with a new, long "Pete Seeger" 5-string neck), and an 8-string tenor uke, or taropatch -- both from the '30's. And I have a lot of fun with my weird Regal Octofone.
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

Here's a pic of a "Continental Soloist" guitar headstock; apparently a guitar labeled "Continental Soloist" was listed on eBay in 2014. Seller speculated it was made by "Kay or Harmony."
    Allen Hopkins
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Flatiron 3K OM

Allen, thank you for the info and link. I think I saw that ebay post in my hunt for info. As you guys mentioned it’s most likely made by Regal. I agree most of the Regals I’ve see that are still around were made fairly well. I haven’t gotten around to giving it a proper setup but am planning to this weekend time permitting.

14. The following members say thank you to GDog for this post:

Continental was a music distributor with offices at various times in NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, and Atlanta. I have not seen an instrument with their name on it before, but it's the same logo so I'm sure that's what we're looking at.
    www.OldFrets.com: the obscure side of vintage instruments.

I have a Regal made mandolin sold by Jenkins of Kansas with exactly the same headstock shape- branded The Genuine Washington- circa 1930. If you post a photo of the tuners it may help date the instrument which looks circa 1930s.

I have a Regal Ultra Grand that is similar to the OP's Continental.

Name:	regalUG_frontback.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	416.5 KB 
ID:	176552
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I think the Ultra Grand might look down at the Continental as being a somewhat lower class impersonator of his good self but you can clearly see the similarities inherent!

I've attached some photos of the tuners. Also, some of the case candy (strings) are 1 - 1930's box of Gibson Mona-Steel strings and 1 - 1940's/50's Mona-Steel box. The 1930's box is a complete set. Could be an indicator of age, roughly same eraClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8687.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	463.2 KB 
ID:	176571

Name:	IMG_8686.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	433.2 KB 
ID:	176572

Name:	IMG-8676.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	731.5 KB 
ID:	176573

Name:	IMG-8682.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	697.1 KB 
ID:	176574

Name:	IMG-8683.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	828.9 KB 
ID:	176575

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    I think the Ultra Grand might look down at the Continental as being a somewhat lower class impersonator of his good self but you can clearly see the similarities inherent!
    I don't know.It might be fine to have a play date with both and see how they get along. I hae seen some identical models ot this one made under the B&D brand.

Actually mine does need some work to get it playable. I need to have that done. Also, sadly the pickguard has crystallization.

What was esp cool about this Ultra Grand is that it came with the original hardshell shaped case in excellent condition. I am not sure what modern cases this mandolin would fit in otherwise.

Name:	regalUG_casetop.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	176580 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	regalUG_caseopen.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	345.3 KB 
ID:	176581 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	regalUG_casedet02.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	176582
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1