Thread: Information sought for eight stringed banjo-like instrument.

Default Information sought for eight stringed banjo-like instrument.

New member here. I'm a guitar player who likes to try new stringed instruments on occasion. I happened to acquire an old banjo-like instrument a while back, and haven't been able to find any information on it. I tried a post in 'other instruments' at Acoustic Guitar Forum, and they suggested posting here at Mandolin Cafe. Below are some pictures. It appears to be bird's eye maple veneer. There also appears to be some shadowing of a badge that has been removed from the headstock at some time. Any information on who the manufacturer might be would be helpful.

Default Re: Information sought for eight stringed banjo-like instrument.

Banjo-mandolin, 1920s- possibly earlier. The hardware looks to be American but I cannot see the tuners as well as I would like. I assume it is an American instrument. No idea as to the maker. It does not appear to be particularly expensive- the badge may well be one applied by a third party retailer. It may well be made by Oscar Schmidt. Here is a slightly Ritzier example with that back with the two f holes.

https://jakewildwood.blogspot.com/20...-mandolin.html

The instrument that Nick linked at Jake Wildwood's site, has a somewhat similar headstock shape, and f-holes nearly centered on the resonator, like yours. Jake attributes it to Oscar Schmidt, so that's a decent guess.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thanks for the very helpful replies. After comparing the pictures in the link to mine I'm confident it's an Oscar Schmidt of roughly the same era.

It does have Slingerland features and Harmony and Regal did use that headstock shape but I'm guessing Jake had a catalog page or a branded instrument that he based his identification on. Maybe he found one with a "Made in New Jersey" label inside.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber