Thread: 1923 Martin?

Default 1923 Martin?

Hi all, first post (wahoo!) but I've been learning a lot from yall for a while. I'm looking at this tomorrow: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-string-instr...ationFlag=true

Wondering mainly what I should look out for in buying an older intstrument like this and if you think this one looks worth it, just based on what you can see from the ad? Currently playing a cheap intro instrument and it's time to upgrade! Thanks

Default Re: 1923 Martin?

Looks to be in nice shape, original case to boot is a major plus. It is hard to impossible to find cases for these. Just remember to use light strings. Not heavier than 10-36 IMHO.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Teacher, repair person

It appears to be all there. I would have it looked over to check for loose braces and check the set-up.

I beg to disagree with the seller on US prices for these, though. I don't recall seeing $1700 - $1900 US dollars at any reputable dealer for these. I don't see any on Reverb that high either. Maybe he thinks you won't look . . .

Perhaps $1250 US tops for a very clean one, and that's for one that's much cleaner than this one; and it might still be pushing it. Generally speaking, maybe $700 to $1250 US, depending on age, condition, and originality.

This one works out to be $892 US dollars. It's definitely not a steal, but it might be a little less than you would have to pay for one in similar condition to be shipped from the US, with duties and a rosewood permit [the peghead overlay on these is Brazilian rosewood].

It does have a nice looking back. Agreed, 10 through 36 on the strings.
    Last edited by rcc56; May-05-2019 at 5:30pm.

In this condition these fetch in the $1700-1900 US on Reverb and eBay. Offering at $1200 CDN. Yeah, more like 8-9

1935 Gibson A-1 Wide mandolin
    Late 1800's Unbranded German fiddle

Thanks all, good to know about the strings. I also looked all over and couldn't find any selling for 1700-1900 US. At least it might not be a big ripoff? We'll see tomorrow!

There was one of these here in the UK- same year , arrow-ended tuners as well - but it had a serious headstock repair- done well, but visible. It was made of Koa and had decals from WW2 on it- USAAF- star roundels and from a gunnery range Yuma Army Air Field in Arizona- amazing. This went for only £400- which is about $525. I know the repair lowered its value but they are very rare in the UK, and those decals were unique. It had a modern case.

Here are two photos as it was unique and I should have bid on it!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (26).jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	232.0 KB 
ID:	176490Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (27).jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	247.8 KB 
ID:	176491
    Last edited by NickR; May-06-2019 at 6:39am.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Canoe Captain View Post
    ... and if you think this one looks worth it ...
    Peronally, yes. As noted, not a steal at US $892, but one north Jersey dealer often has a decent one or two in the $900 range. Got my '54 on eBay 8-10 years ago for under $500, but the eBay photo looked pretty bad - it's much nicer in real life!

You should be aware that Martins sound nice but are relatively delicate, or quiet, and/or "polite"; not-at-all bluegrass machines looking to do battle with banjoes & fiddles! That's largely because of their 13" scale (plus non-carved, non-f-hole top) as opposed to the 13 7/8" that's sort of the standard. So they're nice, sound good, fun to play, easier on the fingers than most, but have their limitations. Plus, having a decent case for one, meaning o/t chipboard, is extremely rare.

FWIW, I'm told that a long-past conductor of my mandolin orchestra (Bloomfield, NJ) required that all mandolins be Martins!

My prediction: You'll like it, buy it, enjoy it, possibly keep it for life, but it won't be your last mandolin. Welcome to MAS!
    Last edited by EdHanrahan; May-06-2019 at 1:31pm.
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

it's for sale in newfoundland so there are not as many vintage instruments to try. if it plays and sounds good i'd dicker a bit but go for it. those martins are very nice, not a bluegrass sound but great for folk or celtic, on "the rock" there is a lot of celtic.

Teacher, repair person

Yes, you have to take availability and the costs of shipping one in from the US into account.

Because of the pick rash, I would consider the price a little high if it was going from a US seller to a US buyer. I would think $700 - $800 US to be more appropriate under those conditions. But the additional cost of shipping one from the US to Canada would include duties and a CITES permit. That might make the price difference worth it, and you wouldn't have to wait 90 or more days for a CITES permit to clear.

<Removed by Moderator. Please review the Posting Guidelines>

Refrain from using the forum as a point of purchasing or selling items or for the purpose of discussing or linking to items you are selling. Please limit selling and buying activities to the Classifieds section of this web site or other external locations.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; May-07-2019 at 3:52pm.