Thread: Glue masking

Default Glue masking

I would like a little discussion on techniques for masking techniques for glues. I like using CA to address finish cracks on old finishes and modern poly finishes. CA doesn't shrink like new lacquer does. A drop filled lacquer repair may look perfect for a few days but in a week, the lacquer shrinks. It might be that compared to others, I could be rushing the repair when I ought to keep the repair for weeks longer and address it over a longer period of time.

What do CA not stick to? I've noticed that those flexible clear plastic packages that most guitar strings used to come in work well as caul barriers when using CA. CA does not adhere strongly to them. If I'm doing a tiny part repair, this plastic is handy.

What does Titebond or other glue not adhere to?

Default Re: Glue masking

I use automotive striping tape to mask CA. You can get it at stores who sell supplies to automobile painters, it comes in several widths, thicknesses, flexibilities and so forth. I usually use the blue 3M striping tape. I can tape both sides of a tight crack, flood in thin CA, let dry, scrape to the tape, sand nearly through the tape, remove the tape, sand a little more and buff.
    No glue sticks to the stuff, that I know of.

(Personally, unless I don't have time to wait, I get better results repairing lacquer with lacquer. I like to wait at least 3 weeks before leveling and buffing a lacquer repair.)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

Tapes made of PTFE (Teflon), silicone, or HDPE will not stick to CA or Titebond. The real problem is the area between the tape and the wood-- wicking underneath the tape is a disaster to deal with if it happens. So I usually don't mask at all, I drop fill in the crack with a toothpick or dental pick. If I had the confidence John does in a tape, then I'd probable do as he does.

5. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    ...If I had the confidence John does in a tape, then I'd probable do as he does.
    Keep the tape clean (don't lay the roll down on a surface that is not clean), be sure the surface to be taped is clean, stretch the tape a little as it's applied to avoid wrinkles of trapped air pockets, burnish the tape down once it's in place, and seldom does CA find it's way under the blue striping tape.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

That's great to know.