Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stradolin "Artist" on ebay. Late 30s?

Default Stradolin "Artist" on ebay. Late 30s?

This is an expensive instrument and I have no idea regarding its worth but it looks like a good instrument in good order made from very eye-catching wood. It is missing the tailpiece cover and I do not know if the "Artist" term is correct.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STRADOLIN-A...temCondition=4

2. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Stradolin "Artist" on ebay. Late 30s?

This one has made its round here on the café classifieds as well-killer woods!

I have the same model. The owner is a member here and this is the only place I've ever seen it called a Artist model. The Artist Model Strad-O-Lin was a totally different mandolin. If there is any ad documentation I'd love to see it. By the way, I paid $50.00 including shipping for mine years ago. That was a deal and a half. This is mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strad.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	176444  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

5. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Yes, yours looks fantastic as well- and it does appear that you really got a good buy. Is it late 30s? Certainly, the tuners on that other example would suggest mid to late 1930s.

Mine appears to be late 30's but it doesn't have a date. I've got the ever-so-coveted matching pickguard and tailpiece cover.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

8. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Yes, there must be some gremlin that lives in the house and steals these covers! The cover on yours- which I assume is a cloud, also appears to have two dots- is it engraved or is that a trick of the light?

Pretty sure that's a post-war Strad. Here's a 'thirties head (but with newer tuners).

And I think the model called Artist was the one where the bridge is centered along the F-holes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2911.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	176447

Name:	2757.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	176448

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bruce Clausen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Mine appears to be late 30's but it doesn't have a date. I've got the ever-so-coveted matching pickguard and tailpiece cover.
    Mike, you are a class act! Sometime we must meet!!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

13. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Blog Entries

Some of these 30's so called "Budget" brands are some serious bang for the buck! Be it Stradolins, SS Stewerts, any Gibson depression Budget brand, 30's-40's Harmony's, etc..Plus some have the ultra neat art deco style, inlays/stenciling!

Name:	IMG_2219.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	486.2 KB 
ID:	176451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2220.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	537.4 KB 
ID:	176452
    I don't have much to add here but I have a similar one with the matching tailpiece cover and pick guard but it had a laminate back and sides and solid top. Still love it. Sounds really nice. It also has these tuner covers. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2221.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	498.3 KB 
ID:	176453
    I keep thinking about upgrading but have yet to fins an instrument in the $1000 range that sounds as good. To be fair I have only played a few but it kicked the crap out of one of those mahogany back Weber Gallatins.

I've never seen one that age with a laminated back. Did you have it off? You also have the coveted matching tailpiece cover and pickguard.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I don't think it's post war. The tuners look earlier.

I didn't realize the auction had the ad for the Artist. It's clearly not this mandolin.

Name:	Strad-Artist.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	206.3 KB 
ID:	176459  
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Like Mike said, the owner is a member here and seems to be "testing the waters" to find a well-heeled buyer who is willing to pay "Gibson" money for pretty wood. He often lists this mandolin "for sale" in the Classifieds here. He claims to have turned down $1000 for it several times. I believe he has received such an offer on eBay, but "somehow" he still has the mandolin........it confuses me, actually! This has been "for sale" for months, if not years at this point. If not for price, it would have sold a long time ago.

As mentioned, this mandolin has been discussed to death on this forum and I'm sure it is a fine mandolin, but it becomes way less interesting at $1000 than it does at $500-600, IMHO. In NYC, I'm sure it would sell for $600 quickly to the right buyer.

Sometimes at guitar shows I'll see Kalamazoos, MayBells, Wards, Recording Kings, etc., as well as Harmonys, Stellas, and others for ridiculous money -- sure, all good USA stuff made of good 80-90 year old wood from the golden era, but guess what???? They don't sell for those prices. OTOH, for $200-500, they quickly find a new home.

I will say, there is no doubt in my mind that the Stradolin has a "sound" that is worth $1000 or more -- but nobody buys based on that. Do they?

Plus, a cheapskate like me wants a $1000 sound for a couple hundred bucks! That would make sense.......

Kind of reminds me of the old guy putting a for sale sign on his old Harley, so people would stop and visit, but has no intention of selling, so he puts an alligator price on it.....

sounds like a fun hobby if you like to p%ss people off........

Keep in mind, I'm all for free enterprise and seeing what the market will allow..........

oops, sorry, I'm gonna to stop short of going into a rant on this subject........................whew!

19. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Mike-Do you mean the back off? I did not have the back off. But you can just tell. There is no grain to it and when you tap on it it just sounds kind of dead, not like the top. Even with it being laminate I paid $300 and paid another $100 for some cracks to be repaired, the brace re-glued, a setup and to have a modern bridge fit to it. To me it was worth the money. I love that thing and even when I one day upgrade I'll be holding onto this one.

I can now see that when Mike mentioned "matching" guard and tailpiece- that the tailpiece is celluloid and those little dots I saw were screws- amazing. This third example, has Kluson tuners and cover plates which must be very rare items. I have a guitar made in 1941 with this arrangement and it was ended by WW2 due to the scarcity of metal. This in my mind confirms that these mandolins were made in the very late 1930s and early 1940s.

With regard to value with the less vaunted mandolins- which often give excellent value for money and playability, I recently bought for $162 BIN off ebay a late 30s Harmony made S S Stewart. The photos showed it in disarray but it had its original hard case. I decided to buy it rather than start lower in the auction. In fact, although the strings were on left handed- they were not tied on and the nut was correctClick image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600 (23).jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	176471 for right hand play. The mandolin sounds superb and apart from the back of the neck, there is no play wear. Action at fret 12 under the Gs is only 1.5mm. I have uploaded one of the ebay photos and one taken after just 45 minutes of work restringing etcClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5872 S S S MANDO Front.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	176472- it hardly needed cleaning. I cleaned the rust off the pickguard bracket later!
    Last edited by NickR; May-04-2019 at 3:52am.

22. The following members say thank you to NickR for this post:

Blog Entries

Nice mandolin NickR!! There ae loads of these that are really good mandolins, a lot of bang for the buck I think-but I'm a fan of all those neat depression era mandolins-NICE! Also for the $ with that case what a deal buddy!

A few days ago there was a really awesome looking 30's A style, with block inlays in the board, an all black, an SS Stewart I should've tried to get, I loved the look and the peg head was just as neat with white deco stenciling rather than inlay "I believe anyway? It was a looker and all the odd ball 30's I've had budget brand anyway were all built rather well and no power like an F-5 but tone to the bone!
    Last edited by William Smith; May-04-2019 at 5:07am.

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    Yes, there must be some gremlin that lives in the house and steals these covers! The cover on yours- which I assume is a cloud, also appears to have two dots- is it engraved or is that a trick of the light?
    damn gremlins

25. The following members say thank you to ollaimh for this post:

The matching tailpiece cover found on these Strad-O-Lin's were held on by two small rivets.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

I have the same model. The owner is a member here and this is the only place I've ever seen it called an Artist model. The Artist Model Strad-O-Lin was a totally different mandolin. If there is any ad documentation I'd love to see it. By the way, I paid $50.00 including shipping for mine years ago. That was a deal and a half.
    The auction is over & I have taken the Stradolin in the original post, off the market, so I hope I'm not violating Posting Guidelines as this is meant only to shed light on Stradolins.

FIRST OFF, THIS IS CLEARLY NOT AN ARTIST MODEL. Although I've heard more than one vintage dealer wrongly call it that. I've heard it called that so many times, I was WRONGLY under the impression the Artist model of 1933 morphed to this by 1941 (this is dated Sept. 1941 and is the same model as Mike Edgerton's, pictured above). What model this is ...I don't know. Hopefully, someone with a 1940, 1941 or 1942 catalogue can find an advt. & post it here.

Secondly, a couple of months ago I had two offers on this (off of the Mandolin Cafe Classifieds, not eBay), one for $1,100 & one for $1,000. After several phone calls and emails, both times the guys never sent payment. Very annoying but it does happen and there's not much one can do about it.
    Is this worth $1,000? I recently sold a Master Model (on Craigslist) for $695 that was not nearly as nice.
    Recently, my doctor gave me Indomethacin that's keeping my arthritis at bay, so I think I'll put new strings on her.
    Thanks,
    Michael
    Last edited by your_diamond; May-14-2019 at 10:15pm.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to your_diamond For This Useful Post:

Photo 163 of 402 from Group Strad-O-Lin Mandolins is a Stradolin Artist Professional ($20) that is not the Artist with the bridge at the center of the f-holes.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...chmentid=94514

I'm not sure why the url link is not working. Damn Gremlins.
    Last edited by your_diamond; May-15-2019 at 8:35am.

I can’t open the link, is this a “special” secret facet to the Mandolin Cafe?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

31. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    I can’t open the link, is this a “special” secret facet to the Mandolin Cafe?
    Timothy, Try it now, it seems to be working. Damn Gremlins!

You may have to log in for the link to work.

...and Timothy, please don't tell everybody about the “special” secret facet to the Mandolin Cafe...
    Last edited by your_diamond; May-15-2019 at 9:49am.

33. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

You may have to belong to the social group. The link works for me. That's the artist model, the bridge is just a half inch or so low. The catalog folks weren't musicians.
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; May-15-2019 at 11:37am.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

35. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

You may have to belong to the Strad-O-Lin Mandolins social group (for the link to work).
    If you've found this thread informative, Join the Strad-O-Lin Mandolins social group. 400+ pictures & the largest repository of Strad-O-Lin information on the web. https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=53

That's the artist model, the bridge is just a half inch or so low.
    The intonation is off / Bridge is in the wrong spot! Why didn't I think of that?

Mike, You're very good at what you do.
    Last edited by your_diamond; May-15-2019 at 7:43pm.

Stradolin master model

Name:	SOL MASTER MODEL 4.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	176736[attach=config]

Name:	0614171620_resized.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	331.2 KB 
ID:	176735   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SOL MASTER MODEL (2).jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	176737