Thread: Suggestion for Case

Default Suggestion for Case

I have an Eastman 514 and am trying to find a case to fit. The original Eastman case has broken (zipper) and can't securely close. I purchased a Guardian CG-020-MF Hardshell Case, F-Model on Amazon, but that didn't fit. I'd appreciate recommendations. Thanks.

David

Default Re: Suggestion for Case

Eastman fibreglass is probably your best option. The Eastman As, like the teens and twenties Gibson As, are slightly larger than modern As so they won’t fit in many modern cases. The only downside is that the Eastman fibreglass cases are limited in terms of storage space. My ‘24 Snakehead lives in one.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Yeah , I hear you RT.... an Eastman fiberglass case may be the best option. The only thing I don't like about these cases is the lack of "carrying " space inside. Give Dennis Vance a call at The Mandolin Store in AZ.... he will help you get lined out. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

A serious quality control upgrade for Chinese zipper factories is long overdue. I've had several of their case-cover zippers fail; sometimes it's just the slider tab breaking off, which I can jerry-rig with a snap-ring off a keychain. Other times, the whole zipper goes kaput. I had an Eastman mandola with the sheet-music pocket on the case safety-pinned shut; luckily, I traded it in on the Stahl.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    A serious quality control upgrade for Chinese zipper factories is long overdue. I've had several of their case-cover zippers fail; sometimes it's just the slider tab breaking off, which I can jerry-rig with a snap-ring off a keychain. Other times, the whole zipper goes kaput. I had an Eastman mandola with the sheet-music pocket on the case safety-pinned shut; luckily, I traded it in on the Stahl.
    Yes, at first the zipper slider tab broke, which I just dealt with a pipe cleaner - then the whole zipper just fell off. Now I'm just keeping the case (slightly) closed with velcro around the handle. What a pain.

Anyone have contact info for Eastman - maybe they'd cover it under warranty?

My Eastman 315 lives in a Superior fiberglass case - fits like a glove and there is a compartment for strings, etc.

7. The following members say thank you to musicology for this post:

I like the Crossrock that I purchased. Plenty of room and fits the mandolin well, with a 2nd piece of foam to add to snug it up if you need.
    Best, Stevo

Travelite or Gator are inexpensive and functional, and fit my 315 without issue...
    Chuck