Thread: Kentucky KM-150 vs KM-156

Default Kentucky KM-150 vs KM-156

Hi everyone. I'm new to the cafe. I am looking for my first mandolin. After reading a lot of forums, I have been convinced to drop more money on a better starter mandolin, and I have seen a lot of positive reviews about the Kentucky models. At the Mandolin Store the Kentucky 150 and 156 are priced the same, so I'm having a difficult time deciding which one to get. I know they are very similar, but I would appreciate any recommendations on which one is a better purchase. Thanks!

Default Re: Kentucky KM-150 vs KM-156

Same one is sunburst and one is brown.

The only difference is the finish color, I have the 156 (brown) which I think looks better per my personal taste, but others may prefer the 150 (sunburst). Try to find regular photos of each model in the wild, not just the promotional pictures to get a better idea of what they really look like.

I like sunburst better, but that is me. However, if the wood is particularly nice, I would opt for brown.
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

I know you didn't ask, so apologies in advance if I'm out of line. A good friend bought a new Eastman 305 not far from the Kentucky 150 price point. It's a great looking and very good sounding mandolin. If you live anywhere near an Eastman dealer you should check one out. Best of luck to you.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Thank you everyone for the replies! I just wanted to make sure that the color was the only difference before I decided.

I was really considering the Eastman 305, but it was just outside of my price range. Surprisingly imnHouston there aren't a lot of reliable mandolin retailers. But thank you for your advice!

Quote Originally Posted by FonzyGirl View Post
    I was really considering the Eastman 305, but it was just outside of my price range. Surprisingly imnHouston there aren't a lot of reliable mandolin retailers. But thank you for your advice!
    Sadly true, especially for ones that aren't either very expensive or extremely cheap. All of my mandolins have been bought online. I went to Memorial Music recently though and they have an interesting collection of various old mandolins and other instruments from around the world, I was surprised.

Have you considered buying it online? You may find more options within your price range and a reputable dealer should give you time to try it out with a return option. (No financial interest).

Hello fellow Houstonian! Very happy with my KM 156

Glad to see another Houstonian here!