Thread: Help! Buying my first mandolin!

Default Help! Buying my first mandolin!

Hello, first time posting!

I'm picking up mandolin, and have a great instructor lined-up through my university, but I need to pick an instrument, which I am struggling to do. Prof. suggested an Eastman, as it sounds good and would keep me in it w/o too too much money, and I've found most people love the MD315, even at its higher price point than a 305. I'm inclined toward the 315, but have found someone through classifieds from whom I could pick up an MD415 for about $690, which is what an MD315 runs out of a store... any thoughts?

Thanks!

Default Re: Help! Buying my first mandolin!

I'd say one thing you need to decide is oval-hole or f-hole. They don't sound the same. The models you listed are all f-hole. Is that a deliberate choice or simply because that's what you've heard about?

Really, before choosing an instrument, you might step back one pace and consider what type of music and style of play you are aiming for. Some people play mostly chords, others play mostly melody. There's no need to stick rigidly to either, but if you have an idea of the direction you'd like to head, that might help guide you.

That's a good point, I don't have a particular preference, though my instructor plays bluegrass, and so I've been planning on moving in that direction. I've been looking at a 305 or 315, but people's high praise for the 315 is feeding my bias toward an f. I think I'll probably be chord heavy to learn, but might like to move toward melody as I go. I think I'd like to do Irish music, but probably have more inclination toward bluegrass/americana. Again, though, this is my first rodeo, so I'll take any advice you all have.

I haven't played a 400 series Eastman, so can't comment on those, but my "beater" is an Eastman 315 that's an excellent instrument, particularly for the clearance price on which I found it. The 305 will do everything the 315 will do except offer you the strap hanger on the body (ie, the scroll). In general as you move up the Eastman line the differences are in appointments; the 300 series has budget tuners and bridges, for ex, but they function just fine.

For BG, definitely go with arch top/f holes. You can play BG on any kind of mandolin, but doing so on a flat top at a BG jam, even a loud one like my Flatiron 1N, is like taking a butter knife to a steak eating competition. Don't ask me how I know
    Chuck

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CES For This Useful Post:

I just bought a used Eastman 305 to serve as my "drag around" mandolin. I'm pretty impressed with it. The set up isn't bad and it sounds way better than my current beater. I had a 515 that I regretted selling but it was too nice to drag to work and festivals but it was neglected at home because of the Doug Clark on my wall.

Eastman's are a lot of twang for the buck.
    Out of tune and out of time.

7. The following members say thank you to HappyPickin for this post:

CES 

I also haven't played any of the 400s, but my 305 is good for what it is. At that price point, you almost need to hold them and play them because they vary so much. is there any way you can try out any of them -- at a brick-and-mortar store, at a local jam, in your school or meet up with the seller of that 415? Or have the seller play it over the phone? Also, the shape of the neck makes a difference on whether you're comfortable or it feels awkward, so holding them is a good thing if you have the option.

As for type of music, I play ITM and I use my Eastman when I need to be plugged in (it has a bridge pickup) because it's fine acoustically if the power bows out or it turns out there's no place to plug in (which happens). So if you get one for bluegrass, it'll work just fine in other genres.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

9. The following members say thank you to Randi Gormley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by HappyPickin View Post
    I just bought a used Eastman 305 to serve as my "drag around" mandolin. I'm pretty impressed with it. The set up isn't bad and it sounds way better than my current beater. I had a 515 that I regretted selling but it was too nice to drag to work and festivals but it was neglected at home because of the Doug Clark on my wall.

Eastman's are a lot of twang for the buck.
    I'm having a similar feeling with the 415, it seems maybe too nice for me to enter with it... not sure that's an accurate way to feel.

Thanks!

I can reach out to the 415 seller and see. 305/315 I can get ahold of in-store. Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by strauss View Post
    I'm having a similar feeling with the 415, it seems maybe too nice for me to enter with it... not sure that's an accurate way to feel.Thanks!
    It's the wrong way to feel, buy the best mandolin you can afford. No mandolin is "too good" for anyone but junk will discourage the adverage newbi.

At the same time, if cost is a factor (it is for many of us), consider spending on something which sounds good and feels comfortable to play.

One can also spend money on the visual/aesthetic appearance which may or may not be money well spent. A certain amount of "feel-good" which will affect the way one feels about playing, comes from those things which don't directly affect the sound, just the same as we don't all walk around dressed in minimalist clothes, but dress to feel good too.

14. The following members say thank you to Cobalt for this post:

I'm having a similar feeling with the 415, it seems maybe too nice for me to enter with it... not sure that's an accurate way to feel.

Thanks!
    The used 305 I bought shows signs that it has been played a lot but not abused. There's a couple places on the finish that look like it has been exposed to bug spray, sunscreen or something that left fingerprints in the satin finish. There's some file marks on the fingerboard where the frets have been dressed and there is one tiny ding on the side. The 515 I had was cosmetically perfect and I didn't want to risk hurting the resale by marring the finish dragging it around. The 305 is pre-marred so I don't have to worry about it. I can enjoy it in places where I wouldn't dare take the Doug Clark.

But in reality it just boils down to what you are comfortable with. I take the Clark to my lessons and to pick with friends if I am sure it won't get left in the car when not being played. I put my beater mando in a Calton case and strap it on the back seat of my motorcycle and go camping. Since I don't plan on ever selling the case I am not worried about if it gets scuffed or not. The mandolin I carried in it last weekend wasn't worth even half of what the case cost.

The 415 would probably be a good mandolin for you. It will take you longer to succumb to the urge to upgrade. MAS starts with a single mandolin...

Good luck and have fun!
    Out of tune and out of time.

16. The following members say thank you to HappyPickin for this post:

Another thing to consider is if you think you'll be in this for the long run, it might be to spend a tad more initially to get an instrument that will last you longer as you progress in your competence.

18. The following members say thank you to Denny Gies for this post:

I could pick up an MD415...
    Also be aware that the Eastman 400 series use mahogany back and sides. I recently played an MD404 and I was startled how different it sounded than the 300, 500, and 600 series models hanging by it on the wall. I'm used to maple back and sides on my mandolins and I didn't personally like the sound of this mandolin.
    Doug Brock
    Kentucky KM-505, Eastman MD-505, Martin HD28, Martin D18GE, CA Bluegrass Performer (carbon fiber dreadnaught)

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DougBrock For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Doug, I was racking my brain trying to think of the distinction and you said it! Thank you for mentioning the back and sides wood for the 400 series as mahogany. That was the info needed to help the OP.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lflngpicker For This Useful Post:

You may want to consider warranty, the original owner of an Eastman gets a lifetime warranty on the instrument. I bought a MD305 for the same reasons of others, to use at campfires, jams etc. whichever one you buy keep it when you decide to move up.
    I have no interest but the guys at The Mandolin Store are great to work with;
    https://themandolinstore.com/product...man-mandolins/

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prairieschooner For This Useful Post:

The choice of a first instrument is important. You want an instrument that has what most of us would say is desirable, an all solid wood construction. Other attributes like fret size or flat or radiused fretboard, are things you won't really be able to judge. Any of the Eastmans being discussed will do that. Weather you want a scroll or not is up to you.

What will be of paramount importance is your choice of second mandolin. After a period of time you will develop preferences, perhaps have played other instruments, desire a scroll if you have an A style, etc. This is where I'd counsel you to avoid the incremental upgrade and really jump to a quality mandolin like a Weber or Northfield, etc.

By buying an Eastman now, you can keep it later to take camping, lend to a friend, etc.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

If at all possible, play as many instruments as you can get your hands on. If you are near a brick and mortar store that carries Eastmans, go and try out everything they have. Go multiple times if necessary. You can get all the “advice” in the world, but your hands and ears need to be the deciding factor. Good luck.
    2007 Sumi F-5 Deluxe
    1991 Flatiron Performer A
    Martin D-35

Just get right to it and buy the Ellis now....