Thread: Standing position

Default Standing position

Hey. I just saw Dawg and Del and outside of having a great time was struck by Grisman’s position when playing solos. He was using a loop strap and seemed to draw the instrument much higher up than others. Any insights into the pros/cons of doing so? Preferences for standing position?

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Default Re: Standing position

Gotta find what works for you, Rob. I like to wear a strap always, sitting or standing, to have my instrument in a similar position whether sitting or standing.

One advantage to using a high-slung position is to work a single mic for vocals and solos.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

It depends on the shape of your body. Whether sitting or standing you optimally want the instrument in the same position in relation to it. One impact on that position is the size and shape of your hands. Optimally I position my mandolin to yield the best and still comfortable to play place in regards to reach and pick-ability. Try out several places and you will naturally gravitate to what works for you. So... Dawg is not Sam or Chris and neither are we. Play On ! R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Thanks. Interesting points. His position may be due to a shared mic, although I’ve noted many of the better players seating positions seem to emphasize getting the instrument up on the left leg at a position favoring a more vertical attack. His standing position also seemed to get a similar result, which is why I’d wondered.

I’d taken some lessons (mike Marshall on artist works) and found his emphasis on position and posture to be very helpful, which is also triggering my curiosity.

Ideally, you want your hands free to play the instrument rather than supporting or stabilizing it. High and tight is one way to achieve that. Check out video of Evan Marshall for an excellent example. Then you have Mike Marshall who achieves stability while sitting by clamping the mandolin between his chest and lap.
    Object to this post? Find out how to ignore me here!

Check out Dean Webb's playing position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im6Cea2OGwI
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

That one’s interesting. Same premise, he’s leaving his hands free and supporting the instrument otherwise.

I believe this was due to the shared mic arrangement.

I've seen Grisman play other times and have not seen him play like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Rodbell View Post
    Hey. I just saw Dawg and Del and outside of having a great time was struck by Grisman’s position when playing solos. He was using a loop strap and seemed to draw the instrument much higher up than others. Any insights into the pros/cons of doing so? Preferences for standing position?
    Yes, I noted the same thing when I saw Del and Dawg about three years ago. David does hold his mandolin up quite high on his upper chest. He didn't hold it that high years ago from some other videos I've watched.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Quote Originally Posted by willkamm View Post
    Yes, I noted the same thing when I saw Del and Dawg about three years ago. David does hold his mandolin up quite high on his upper chest. He didn't hold it that high years ago from some other videos I've watched.
    I've tinkered a bit with the strap on my mandolin & see how having it a bit higher (perhaps not that high) is helpful as it offers greater freedom for my left hand on the fingerboard rather than also supporting the instrument.

He had it pretty high, almost at his chin (I could be exaggerating).