Thread: Transcriptions of Mandolin Performances

Default Transcriptions of Mandolin Performances

Hey y'all at the cafe!

I figure this is the best place to ask this, but I'm not sure what type of response I'll get.

Basically, for a class this semester, I'll be writing a research paper on the conversational and semantic structures of musical improvisation, and being a long time mandolin player, I'd love to analyze mandolin performances.

Do any of you know of any particularly robust transcriptions of improvised mandolin performances that would be easily available and ideally be unrehearsed? As far as genre, I'd love anything but I figure bluegrass and jazz will be the best for idiomatic expression.

Any leads you have will help a ton, thank you!

Default Re: Transcriptions of Mandolin Performances

I don’t know about improvised but mandozine has transcriptions of live performances. Panhandle Rag by John Moore comes to mind.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

David Peters, "Masters of the Mandolin"

I would second the Madozine idea, but on a quick visit just now the site wasn't working properly. I have encountered numerous transcriptions of live performances from their library. The one caveat would be that the ones I recall were only of the mando solos, so you don't necessarily see the conversational back and forth that actually occurred.
    Mitch Russell

David Peter's "Masters of the Mandolin" - slightly revised by Fred Sokolow, copyright permissions cleaned up and re-released by Hal Leonard. Available multiple places, including Elderly Music or online at Amazon, if you're unable to find it locally. Transcriptions of 130 mandolin Solos. The majority are Bluegrass, but also some jazz a la Jethro Burns.

The "Mandolin Omnibook" by Alex Heflin, available through his website, has transcriptions of mostly jazz solos by Jethro Burns, Don Stiernberg and others.

Both are affordable even on a student's budget.