Thread: PreSonus Air10

Default PreSonus Air10

Anyone have any experience with PreSonus powered speakers? I was browsing PA stuff at Sweetwater, and found these on sale. Ive been using Yamaha DBR10's, but they technically belong to someone else, so I've started looking around for some speakers of my own. Any experience with these, or suggestions for something in a similar price range?
    Mitch Russell

Default Re: PreSonus Air10

Behringer powered speakers are very good values. I use a pair of 8" speakers for monitors, but they fill a decent sized room. Well under $200 each.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

3. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

I have one I bought a couple of years ago and it was a great speaker until the stand it was on fell over at a gig. After the fall there was a noticeable distortion. Sent it to PreSounus for a warranty repair and they sent it back with no trouble found. When it came back to me I set up a signal chain through the Air10 and also through a JBL EON 610 and recorded the two distinctly different sounds (distorted and clean) and sent PreSonus the recordings and detailed descriptions of the signal chain to demonstrate there was still a problem that needed to be fixed. The replaced the grill and sent me back a distorted speaker. that was 5 months ago. I've been stewing over whether it is worth trying with them one more time, but it's pretty clear their RMA tech is not interested in trying to identify or fix my problem. JBL Doesn't have as much overall power as the Presonus, but it has held up to gigging well and has pretty much the same input options at $100 less money.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

Just followed you Sweetwater link. That's a great deal. Just be careful not to drop it if you buy it.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F

I'm surprised they would even look at it. To my mind that wouldn't be a warranty issue. Kinda like running your car into a pole. More of an insurance claim.

I have an old Gallien Krugar bass amp that got pushed off a four foot stage once. It was in a rack case, but nevertheless, it fired right up. If it didn't, I wouldn't have held GK responsible.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

dbr-10's are a budget speaker, noticeably less clarity than a DXR to my ears. I love them because of light weight, and it is my goto for an onstage monitor. But for FOH clarity I would use a better speaker. Don't know where the air-10s fall there.

edit: didn't want to sound too negative, the dbr's are a great speaker for the price.

8. The following members say thank you to kurth83 for this post:

Br1ck-
    It was totally on me that it fell, and I wasn't expecting it to be a warranty issue, but they made that call, in writing, twice. The point of my post was that it got sent back to me twice without being fixed, which tells the OP something about what he can expect. The first time I paid for the $75 shipping, the 2nd time they paid. Either way I've got a speaker that doesn't work after investing $675 and no faith in their ability to diagnose a problem even after being told how to reproduce it. If the OP buys at $375 he's getting a much better deal than I did. caveat emptor.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F

10. The following members say thank you to Steve Lavelle for this post:

Gear acquisition syndrome activated.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm still on the fence, but it looks like I'll have to decide by tomorrow (sale is ending). And yes, I'd love to jump up to the DXR10, but that goes beyond my comfortable price range, and I'm not sure the extra fidelity would be noticeable in the situations I encounter. But the Yamaha is a known quantity, and the PreSonus unfamiliar. I've just about talked myself into another pair of DBR10's, since they would only cost about $30 more each than the PreSonus. Honestly, one of the main attractions is 1200w of power vs 700w for the Yamahas. I haven't often felt like the DBR10's were pushing their limits, but the increase in power is seductive.
    Mitch Russell

spl for the dbr's is much higher (129 vs 121), it's the louder speaker regardless of wattage.

14. The following members say thank you to kurth83 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Levine View Post
    Gear acquisition syndrome activated.
    Glad its not me.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lavelle View Post
    Br1ck-
    It was totally on me that it fell, and I wasn't expecting it to be a warranty issue, but they made that call, in writing, twice. The point of my post was that it got sent back to me twice without being fixed, which tells the OP something about what he can expect. The first time I paid for the $75 shipping, the 2nd time they paid. Either way I've got a speaker that doesn't work after investing $675 and no faith in their ability to diagnose a problem even after being told how to reproduce it. If the OP buys at $375 he's getting a much better deal than I did. caveat emptor.
    So they get kudos for customer service, then screw it up. Pretty amazing story. I imagine one or both of the speakers are toast. Should have sent you a new one after the first fix failure. Can you say QSC?
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    So they get kudos for customer service, then screw it up. Pretty amazing story. I imagine one or both of the speakers are toast. Should have sent you a new one after the first fix failure. Can you say QSC?
    Love my QSC K10. No issues and they are used heavily I can't rememebr when I bought them but they were pretty new at the time.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Blog Entries

The Air10's are pretty decent. I've heard them, and checked them out, and at under $400 they are well worth the money. The QSC K10's and Yamaha's (DXR's) are certainly a step up in overall quality (I use the K10's myself) but you are not going to get them for for $400.... If I was on a tighter budget, and was not going to push them too hard, I'd probably be happy with the Air 10's.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

19. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post: