Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who makes a good inexpensive Octave Mandolin?

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Default Re: Who makes a good inexpensive Octave Mandolin?

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    You got a good deal. I paid $900 for mine (the F5 model Octave Plus). It has about 21" scale and with a narrow neck is very easy to play. Intonation on mine was bad; I eventually had a local luthier carve a new saddle. I bought my Cricketfiddle F4 shortly thereafter, haven't plaid the MK since. Tried selling it a few times; no one wants these.
    I think mine is 20" that what it was advertised as. I saw alot at $900 but i held out and found mine at $600 with hard case. It goes great with my flat top octave and my solidbody ones, which are all either 19" or 20" scale length being a f style arch top it fits right in
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Gretsch G9350 Park Avenue,Martin Sigma SM35,Kiso Suzuki V900,The Loar lm600 Cherryburst,morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, custom octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8 & octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky KM300E Eastwood mandocaster 8
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6
    Mandola a/e,bouzouki

Mandolin Mo Strings has a new octave. It is going to be less than $1500.00 but they have not settled on a price. Beautiful intrumtent though.
    Still, the Eastman is a steal.
    Loar LM-370

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Have both the Eastman and the Ashbury Style E. Get the Eastman. While there are nice aspects of the Ashbury, the Eastman is a far better built instrument. And I think it cuts through in a band setting better. Also think the neck is more comfortable.

That said, there are others who really like the Ashbury. Liked it at first, but now it mostly sits in the case.
    A follow up to my earlier post. Took both my OMs to a jam/practice last Monday. Switched between the two a lot. Finally I asked the person sitting next to me if he heard a difference. Was told, sort of. The Eastman cut through better, but didn't have the bass of the Ashbury.

That said, am now seriously thinking of upgrading to either a Pono, Lafferty, or more likely, the Northfield flat-top octave.
    2018 Collings MT, 1910 Gibson A, 1929 Gibson A Jr., 1941 Strad-O-Lin, 2018 Eastman MDO-305, 1950's Californian, 2015 Ashbury Style E OM
    http://ericplatt.weebly.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Riley View Post
    Send it to Randy January at the lending library. Take a deduction off your taxes next year
    https://www.cbaweb.org/Learning/LendingLibrary
    Sending it anywhere will cost me about $100. And I haven't itemized deductions since I paid off my house several years ago. I still make charitable contributions but it saves me nothing on taxes, especially now that the standard deduction has nearly doubled.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    That said, am now seriously thinking of upgrading to either a Pono, Lafferty, or more likely, the Northfield flat-top octave.
    Those Northfields have an interesting sound to them:

1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2011 Passernig F5

I think Siveen Mandolin might make a OM in their Celtic Spirit line.