Thread: Problems with my first mandolin

Default Problems with my first mandolin

I just got a cheap Rogue RM-100A mandolin from musiciansfriend. I've had it for a few weeks and have been getting it set up. Hammered down a few loose frets. Sanded the frets. Painstakingly and nerve-wrackingly filed down the nut. Finally got all the strings where I want them to be.

Then this started happening:

https://imgur.com/a/ToFhWEY?

So that looks terrible. But honestly this was intended to be a learning instrument anyways. I never really expected to perform with it. What I'm wondering is if it's gonna get worse and just fall apart. The defect does not currently appear to affect the sound much.

Should I try to return it? To be honest I'm kinda dreading the thought. I just got it set up right...

Default Re: Problems with my first mandolin

It needs to go back to the store. I can't see that doing anything other than getting worse.

3. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Blog Entries

Just to add to what Ron says...top is collapsing and warping. Structural defect. Return for exchange or refund.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

5. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Cobalt 

Are those J-74s? That's too much string for those unreinforced tops - although, that sinkage looks pretty extreme.

Yikes! Houston, I think we have a problem.
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Gdae?

Its tuned to GCEA (like a uke). 4th string is an "A". 3rd is a "D" string taken from a different set, tuned up 2 semitones. D'addario light strings.

Total tension should be within the normal range.

Blog Entries

Yes send it back, I've heard of people hot rodding some of those to make them better but that's pretty bad! Some top sinking is common on older mandolins but sometimes can be straightened out with a full contact bridge, I did this to a Gilchrist F-5 I used to own, steam is a last resort? But that import isn't worth that kinda work!

Rogue is not a name I trust. Send it back and get something else like a real mandolin.

Send it back and get something else like a real mandolin
    Wow. Not terribly helpful and kind of rude.

Save yourself more head aches and request the seller take it back due to a defect. If it is MF there will be no problems. They will even pay the return shipping due to a faulty product. If you are on a budget and do not want to try another you may look to Amazon and pick up one of the Hola units I have seen that look pretty good as far as construction and even have a truss rod. Cost I think is $89 with free shipping. I was going to buy one but got an excellent buy on an Ibanez M-510 A style. Really like it. Best of luck to you.

Musician's Fiend lists the RM-100A for fifty bucks. You've already put more work into this one than it probably warrants. I'd return it and see if you can get $50 credit toward something like the Loar LM-110 ($250), which is solid wood and has a carved top.

That's quite a bit more money, and like any MF-sold mandolin you're not guaranteed any kind of set-up, but you've got much better "bones" with which to work. I'll bet the frets will be better seated, the nut better shaped, and the whole package a lot more satisfactory.

It's tough to learn on a lowest-common-denominator instrument, not that many of us haven't. Yours is self-destructing before your eyes. My dealings with MF have been pretty positive, and it's worth a try to get a better mandolin, IMHO.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

15. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Update: sent it back to MF, got a new one. As expected MF was great about it.

I went with another rogue. Interestingly, the new one is fretted much better. Literally just a few swipes with a sandpaper block and everything was perfectly level. It plays much easier.

I'll probably get a nicer one once I'm sure I'm going to stick with it.