Thread: Northfied Artist Model at TME and New V 4.0's

Default Northfied Artist Model at TME and New V 4.0's

That new 2-bar is stunning. I'm looking forward to the sound clip, but I suspect it may sound in line with its looks.

I haven't been able to find out about the price of the new Northfield V 4.0 mandolins.

Anyone know how they will be priced relative to the current Artist models?

2. The following members say thank you to Luna Pick for this post:

Default Re: Northfied Artist Model at TME and New V 4.0's

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Pick View Post
    That new 2-bar is stunning. I'm looking forward to the sound clip, but I suspect it may sound in line with its looks.

I haven't been able to find out about the price of the new Northfield V 4.0 mandolins.

Anyone know how they will be priced relative to the current Artist models?
    I have heard that the 4.0 will be priced at $7K. Whether or not that's an accurate figure I have no idea but I did hear that from a couple of dealers.

I noticed Elderly has a similar 2-bar Artist. Almost looks like they came from the same batch. Nice.

I played the new Artist model at TME Saturday for a while. It is quite nice, and the wood is stunning. I also played the Big Mon. Both nice, but I was distracted by the new Kimble F5 they have right now.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Thanks for passing that along. Guess the Kimble isn't on their website yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna Pick View Post
    Thanks for passing that along. Guess the Kimble isn't on their website yet.
    There is a picture on Facebook, but I don't suspect that it will last long. The price is just a hair under $11k. if you are interested give a call soon.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Guess I'll have to view it on the web site, if it lasts long enough to get there.

Do the Northfield artists measure up to the price? Back when they started they were a premium import mandolin, now their prices are on par with some pretty respectable independent builders.

I'd be interested to hear from some owners how they feel about their purchase after 3 and 6 months.

Have you noticed also that people are offering Northfield as a brand they would trade to.. Interesting times.

I notice the used Artist at Carter's has been there for a while at $5,300. The new Gen 4 at $7k with Waverley tuners.

Interesting times

Umm....have you played a Northfield?
    Yes, they are that good.

Value is something you need to discern yourself.

Cool. I’m making a crazy effort to go see one next week.

I have not played one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Value is something you need to discern yourself.
    Opinions are free

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Woods View Post
    Opinions are free
    Yes, they are, and so are observations. Personally, unless you have other $6k instruments to play it against, I’m not sure you can determine “value”. I will tell you I played the one at TME recently, and it certainly measures well against a Collings MF, but for my money I would have picked the Kimble (which was several thousand more, but well worth it). My issue with Northfield is you cannot drive the top as hard as some other builders. They use a very tall bridge shape, which sits higher, and it’s not a full contact bridge. I’ve always felt with a different bridge they might have a bit more headroom.

If you are looking at aesthetics, they use some great wood. But personally, the Big Mon I played side by side with the Engelmann top had a lot more volume, but YMMV. However, varnish finish, full body binding, James Tailpiece, etc. the Artist is the best value for the money if you like the tonal range and volume of the Artist. It’s just going to depend on what your priorities are.
    Last edited by Mandobar; May-09-2019 at 8:41pm.