Thread: Gamine - Valse Musette (Jean Linard)

Default Gamine - Valse Musette (Jean Linard)

Jean Linard (c. 1930s): "Gamine" - Valse Musette

This lovely musette waltz has been in our group repertoire since before I joined 15 years ago, in a transcribed score credited to Johan B. Kok (1889-1954). On making this recording, I have tried to find out more about the piece and have realised that although it comes from a collection of pieces published by Kok, this particular waltz (along with two other pieces from that album also in our repertoire and correctly credited) is actually by Jean Linard. I know little about Linard, but his name appears on a number of old mandolin compositions and arrangements.

Gamine has always been one of my favourite tunes, a melodic and atmospheric waltz and just a joy to play and listen to. We normally play it rather slower than my recording, but I suspect from the marking as "valse musette" that the faster tempo is more in keeping with the genre.

There are four parts in the published arrangement: two mandolins, mandola (in G) and guitar. I have doubled the guitar bass notes on mandocello to boost the bass line.

1890s Umberto Ceccherini mandolin (x2)
    Mid-Missouri M-111 octave mandolin
    Vintage Viaten tenor guitar
    Suzuki MC-815 mandocello

Martin

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post: