Thread: Höfner 545 questions

Default Höfner 545 questions

Here are some photos of this Höfner 545 mandolin that I have recently acquired. I have read previous posts on the MC about this instrument, so I know it was likely manufactured in the 1960s. Here are some questions I hope someone can answer:

(1) I have seen online photos of this instrument. Some have dot inlays like mine, but others have large rectangular block inlays. Were the "block inlay" ones a premium model, or did Höfner make one style before the other? I am trying to find out what year mine may have been produced. I can not find a serial number anywhere.

(2) Does anyone know what the retail price was of a new one back in the 1960s?

(3) At the time new ones were being sold, were they considered to be low, medium or top quality instruments?

(4) I purchased a new Gibson A-40 back in 1965 for $150.00 Am wondering how the Höfner 545 would compare in pricing and quality? (Don't have the A-40 any more)

Thanks for any coming comments and information.

.....Rickker
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1730.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	650.6 KB 
ID:	176301   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1723.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	869.4 KB 
ID:	176300   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1722.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	778.4 KB 
ID:	176302  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1726.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	761.0 KB 
ID:	176303  

Default Re: Höfner 545 questions

hi
    I bought the same model in 1977directly from the factory in Bubenreuth, Germany. At the time the price was 150 DeutschMark which would have been around 75 Us Dollars. They had 3 models, the one you are referring to with block inlays had a sunburst finish and real f-holes. Don't remember the 3rd model.
    David Grisman plays one on the tone poems cd (I think the first)
    I played it for about a year in a bluegrass band. It had an arched fingerboard, rather short scale and a pleasing sound but not much cut through.
    I would imagine a carved mandolin like the Gibson A-40 having more punch.
    I did upgrade eventually to a 1939 A-50 (with a large bell shaped body and long scale, that was a great instrument and much better suited to bluegrass)
    hope that helps

Stefan

The British Vintage Hofner website offers access to some Hofner catalogs, though it's specifically directed at guitars, and I don't know if mandolins are shown as well (I didn't want to accept German "cookies," so I didn't complete the links -- nothing against German bakeries of course...).

Might give you some info; I dunno.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by mildini mandolini View Post
    hi
    I bought the same model in 1977directly from the factory in Bubenreuth, Germany. At the time the price was 150 DeutschMark which would have been around 75 Us Dollars. They had 3 models, the one you are referring to with block inlays had a sunburst finish and real f-holes. Don't remember the 3rd model.
    David Grisman plays one on the tone poems cd (I think the first)
    I played it for about a year in a bluegrass band. It had an arched fingerboard, rather short scale and a pleasing sound but not much cut through.
    I would imagine a carved mandolin like the Gibson A-40 having more punch.
    I did upgrade eventually to a 1939 A-50 (with a large bell shaped body and long scale, that was a great instrument and much better suited to bluegrass)
    hope that helps

Stefan
    Thanks, Stefan, yes only a 13" scale length, a full inch less than my 1969 Gibson F5. I don't mind the lack of Bluegrass punch as I will primarily be just plunking away on my own rather than in a band setting. About the other models, I did see a photo of one with the block inlays, but it had the same cat eye sound holes. Maybe the one with the regular f-holes came later in the 1970s? Thanks for the information.
    ....Rick

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    The British Vintage Hofner website offers access to some Hofner catalogs, though it's specifically directed at guitars, and I don't know if mandolins are shown as well (I didn't want to accept German "cookies," so I didn't complete the links -- nothing against German bakeries of course...).

Might give you some info; I dunno.
    Thanks, Allen. I did check out the website and did accept the cookies. Lots of information about all kinds of guitars, bases, violins that were being produced and sold at the time. No mention anywhere that they even produced mandolins! Looks like this was a very minor part of the Höfner business. Anyway, thanks for sending the link.
    ....Rick

6. The following members say thank you to Rickker for this post: