Thread: NJ/NYC Suburbs

Default NJ/NYC Suburbs

I'm interested in finding folks to play with here in the NYC suburbs of NJ.

I play guitar and have just started mandolin, am a good chord comper, can play a bit of lead in this idiom and can sing harmony and lead reasonably well.

I'm in an indie rock band but am looking to explore some new stuff. I'd like to find others interested in getting some tunes together. I also have a fiddle player who might be interested...especially looking for a banjo and mandolin and upright bass. Also like a lot of more recent American Primitive stuff...Jack Rose, Nathan Bowles, Daniel Bachman etc.

I have a rehearsal space (in Orange, NJ) with my other band so we'd have a place to meet up if that's a draw at all.

Default Re: NJ/NYC Suburbs

For Old Time: 1st Tuesday in Sommerville. http://www.diamondcut.com/oldtime/?page_id=2

The Folk Project has a music party the 2nd Saturday of every month http://www.folkproject.org
    Mainly a song circle, but instrumental jams have been known to pop up.
    Locations vary throughout the area.

I host a fiddle tune "Slow Jam" (each person gets to call the tune and kick it off at whatever speed they want) in New Providence on the 2nd Wed.

Let me know if you want more info on any of these.

3. The following members say thank you to rjs for this post:

Jeff, I highly recommend Barry Mitterhoff's Jam Class starting May 6 in Springfield NJ https://letspick.org/class-pages/bm-2019-05/ You will meet pickers at all levels at the class, and Barry is a great musician and instructor. Also I just posted a flyer for the Bloomfield Mandolin Orchestra spring concert on May 5th. Please stop by and if interested we are always looking for new members on mandolin, mandola, guitar and other instruments.
    Rob

5. The following members say thank you to RobH for this post:

Take a trip to the Albert Music Hall in Waretown, NJ on any Saturday night and/or The New Jersey Bluegrass and Oldtime Music Association (BOTMA) in Little Silver on the third Sunday of most months. You'll meet some people.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thank you all so much! This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

Hi Jeff --
    I'm in Bloomfield, NJ and have been looking for people to play with in my neck of the woods.

I play fiddle, clawhammer banjo, guitar, and some mandolin, and sing. Mostly old-time music but I can be flexible.

PM me if you're interested.

9. The following members say thank you to rstreich for this post:

There is a jam at the Ocean County Library in Point Plesant Beach on (I believe) the third Tuesday of every month. If you call the library I’m sure they will confirm the time and date.

11. The following members say thank you to Phil-D for this post:

PM'd

hey @rstreich I tried PM-ing you but not sure it worked. Please let me know!