Thread: Case upgrade or case cover

Default Case upgrade or case cover

My OldWave oval A came with a nicely fitting TKL hard case in tweed. I travel a lot but it is me driving myself. I wouldn’t fly with it because it has some rosewood. I am very careful with it but it does get left in the car sometimes. I try not to do this in the winter or summer but that means I go without the Mandolin. So would you look into a better
    Case or possibly one of the insulated case covers? Just curious on some other thought processes. I would love a Calton or such but a case cover might afford more temperature protection and some extra carrying space both of which I need! Thanks!
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Default Re: Case upgrade or case cover

If all you really seek is some decent thermal protection on a car trip, then you would be better served by getting an insulated case cover than another case -- even a fiberglass one, like the Calton. That, or get a hard case that already has built-in Thinsulate (3M) insulation as a lining, like some (but not all!) models of the Hoffee case. But that's a very expensive way to go if thermal protection is all that you seek.

That said, you can achieve the same effect in your car -- or likely, better! -- by simply wrapping the TKL case you already own in two layers of blankets: (1) a regular insulating blanket, and (2) a "space blanket" (mylar blanket). These blankets are easily carried on a car trip, and they'll work as well, or better, than practically any insulated commercial case

And none of these methods (insulated case, insulated case cover, or simple blanket wraps) will help to protect your mandolin for very long against the inside temperature of a locked, closed car in the summer, which can reach up to 150 degrees! A couple of hours, tops, but no more. So watch out.

Finally, having some rosewood on your mandolin is no reason not to fly with it, so far as I know. Instruments with rosewood are not being stopped for CITES reasons during international travel. And the type of wood is irrelevant for domestic travel within the U.S. So what's the issue, there?

I had my car in the sun for 20 minutes with the window open moving and a thermometer on the floor was already 120 degrees. Be careful leaving an instrument in a car for any length of time, even with thermal protection.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

When I was in food sales, I used to transport frozen and refrigerated food in a freezer blanket. This was about the size and shape of those padded blankets movers use, except thermal barrier material is used. Rolled up they are about the size of a sleeping bag. I wrapped a guitar case in one out of desperation one summer day. After a couple of hours, the case was not even warm to the touch. If it's just in your car, you could just keep one in your trunk. I think they are about $50.

A mandolin case could be wrapped twice around with one, and should you ever get stranded in the cold, you could wrap yourself in it.
    Silverangel A
    Michael Kelly LSFTB
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Thanks for the thoughts guys! I will ponder this some more. I stopped into a local store looking for some of the thermal insulation to sew into bags but they didn't have any. I think I will just make my own with the appropriate insulation and leather. and then I can make an external pocket the way I need it.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.