Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can never enough "Orange"

Default Re: Can never enough "Orange"

I’m late to the party but does anyone know what model Eastman Andrew was playing?

Judging by the non-Florida fretboard and binding, looks like a 515 or 615 in a non-satin finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Winn View Post
    Judging by the non-Florida fretboard and binding, looks like a 515 or 615 in a non-satin finish.
    Thanks for the info

I get sucked into half an hour of Mandolin Orange every time someone posts a video.

What those Eastman clips point out to me is that the player is the important ingredient, and then the leap forward in quality when he's playing something else. For those wondering what the difference is between a pretty good import and a great luthier built instrument, look no further than to play two clips back to back. The good news is you can get quite a lot of the high end sound if you are willing to spend $1500 or so shopping used.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    I’m sure that Gibson sounds ridiculous in person. However, although this one sounds great through the internet, my ears miss the Gilchrist. Hopefully MO will come through again this summer so I can hear the Loar up close. Please!!!
    I was of the same opinion. The Gilchrist really sounded great in his hands, particularly the WGBH Live at Fraser video. But, I saw them a couple of weeks ago in Houston at the Heights Theater. This Loar, in his hands, was perfect for their music.

I saw them in March in Seattle. They are great live and they even interacted with the audience