Thread: Bouzouki help

Default Bouzouki help

I just bought a Greek bouzouki. I haven't played music in years, I've forgotten how to read music and almost everything else, and the last time I played it was a flute, not a string instrument. I have my bouzouki tuned to the traditional tuning for a four course instrument. Quite a bit of the information I find online is in Greek. I want to transpose guitar or other string instrument music and take what I can from Irish bouzouki videos since they are easier to find and in English mostly. I am hopeful some of you more experienced and wiser musicians can give me some advice and or critique my plan. What do you think of my stradegy? What would you do differently if you were learning your instrument again?

Default Re: Bouzouki help

Are you tuning it in the Greek style of CFAD or in Irish bouzouki GDAD tuning? CFAD tuning is the same as the four highest pitched strings on a guitar except a whole step down, so you might rather borrow from guitar than from Irish bouzouki if you're using CFAD tuning. There is a bouzouki subforum here where you might get better answers as well.

3. The following members say thank you to Seter for this post:

Default Re: Bouzouki help

Quote Originally Posted by Seter View Post
    Are you tuning it in the Greek style of CFAD or in Irish bouzouki GDAD tuning? CFAD tuning is the same as the four highest pitched strings on a guitar except a whole step down, so you might rather borrow from guitar than from Irish bouzouki if you're using CFAD tuning. There is a bouzouki subforum here where you might get better answers as well.
    Correct. The Greek tetrachordo 4 course instrument is tuned CFAD. Mostly it is used as a melody instrument, not so much as a chordal backing instrument.

If you really want to play Irish music I'd suggest another tuning. As a Greek style player, I'd say learn Greek music!

One other approach: capo at the 2nd fret, it's a baritone uke tuning, DGBE.