Thread: Pricetone #12 inbound

Default Pricetone #12 inbound

I have been seduced by all the mandolins I've played with a 1 3/16" nut compared to my current 1 3/32" so I pursued a few and just closed a deal on a Pricetone F-5, serial number 12. I'm a little worried about such an early example of what are generally reported to be very fine instruments. I've listened to a video several times and the seller is offering to refund my money if I am not satisfied.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primetone.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	454.9 KB 
ID:	176273

2. The following members say thank you to Greg P. Stone for this post:

Default Re: Pricetone #12 inbound

Those are some crazy pick scratches! Someone went loco on that thing. The pick in the picture is from my local music store...where are you getting it from?
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Not familiar. Please enlighten me.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Yep, as Br1ck said, I am not familiar with this builder. Any more info?
    Stiver F5 #366
    Kopp K-35 Braz
    Huss & Dalton TD-M Custom
    1935 Martin 00-17
    HD-28E Retro

Lewis Price lived near Sumter SC. He passed away a few years ago. Dale Reno played a Pricetone at some point.
    Russ Jordan

This was Dale Reno's mandolin from his (first stint?) with Hayseed Dixie. He apparently bought a second one from Lewis Price with the serial number in the 30's. Perhaps their repertoire of hard rock and metal may be linked to the strange pick scratches. "Pricetone" is an unfortunate name as it sounds like something badly translated from the Chinese and is confused with Dunlap's "Primetone".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pricetone.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	424.3 KB 
ID:	176274
    Last edited by Greg P. Stone; Apr-24-2019 at 4:09pm.

The seller is shipping from Ohio. Don't know the Bozeman connection. edit - there is a "MAP Bozeman" sticker on the case so perhaps it was in the case when the seller bought it.

The Pricetone website is still up: http://pricetone.co/MandolinStock.php
    Last edited by Greg P. Stone; Apr-24-2019 at 4:13pm.

Checking some threads on Dale Reno, it looks like him choosing this mandolin and then buying a second from the same maker makes it a good bet that this is a fine instrument. For years Lewis Price brought a couple mandolins to bluegrass events and occasionally sold one. It seems he made many of the early ones for himself and passed them along as he made new ones. #12 was made in July 2000. #33 and 35 were made in 2002. Old threads in various forums talk about Pricetone mandolins being fantastic bargains for the $2500 that Lewis charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg P. Stone View Post
    The seller is shipping from Ohio. Don't know the Bozeman connection. edit - there is a "MAP Bozeman" sticker on the case so perhaps it was in the case when the seller bought it.

The Pricetone website is still up: http://pricetone.co/MandolinStock.php
    The pick in the pic is from Music Villa, a sweet music store, particularly if you like guitars.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

To correct a previous comment, I translated the page referring to Dale Reno and Pricetone #33 and Dale did not buy it. The person with #33 was actually saying that Dale switched from a Tucker to a Pricetone in 2000, so he's referring to the one I just bought not the one pictured with his comments.

Well, that did not go well. I was leaving on a two week trip to Santa Fe Sunday (yesterday) and when asked how I wanted it shipped I said any way that gets it to me at least a few days before I leave so I have time to evaluate it. It arrived today. Fortunately our plans changed at the last minute so that we leave at 5AM tomorrow.

Putting a Starrett straight edge on the frets I noted an inward curve, not enough to make the action bad. However, since this has no adjustable truss rod I told him I'd have to consult with some people to determine how likely it was to get worse. I asked for an extra week to evaluate it since it arrived late. He got angry and demanded that I return it immediately, so I did. What a waste.

The tone was quite nice and the 1 3/16" nut was to my liking.

However my caution about an early luthier build was well founded. the binding was poorly done and the inside of the scroll was quite messy. The tone delivered and from all reports the binding and finish was top notch by 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg P. Stone View Post
    Well, that did not go well. I was leaving on a two week trip to Santa Fe Sunday (yesterday) and when asked how I wanted it shipped I said any way that gets it to me at least a few days before I leave so I have time to evaluate it. It arrived today. Fortunately our plans changed at the last minute so that we leave at 5AM tomorrow.

Putting a Starrett straight edge on the frets I noted an inward curve, not enough to make the action bad. However, since this has no adjustable truss rod I told him I'd have to consult with some people to determine how likely it was to get worse. I asked for an extra week to evaluate it since it arrived late. He got angry and demanded that I return it immediately, so I did. What a waste.

The tone was quite nice and the 1 3/16" nut was to my liking.

However my caution about an early luthier build was well founded. the binding was poorly done and the inside of the scroll was quite messy. The tone delivered and from all reports the binding and finish was top notch by 2002.
    Very interesting, Greg. Sorry to hear that this did not work out. Like I wrote to you in my email, I have nothing but good things to say about mine which is #53 from 2003.

May I ask how much you paid for it?

$1400

I may yet end up with a later build of this model.
    1989/2019 Ike Bacon/Barry Kratzer F5
    1945 Levin 330
    192? Bruno (Oscar Schmidt) banjo-mandolin
    early Eastwood Mandostang
    2005 Tacoma CB-10 acoustic bass guitar
    Fender Tweed Deluxe clone