Thread: Pricing increases to Collings and Waterloo Instruments

Blog Entries

Default Pricing increases to Collings and Waterloo Instruments

This has been a known bit of information not for public consumption for a little while but just read it on an email blast a retailer sent out so it's going to get communicated one way or another. We tend to prefer to let that market dictate the communication process, not us blabbing what we saw but probably weren't suppose to... Gist of what they sent below, and please note, we're only sharing this information. Asking us to provide answers to your questions isn't something we're going to have access to, but all of the retailers will.

------------------

If you’ve been considering buying a Collings or Waterloo acoustic guitar or mandolin, now’s the time to act!

Collings has notified all dealers that prices on instruments will be going up on June 1st. In addition, the custom Collings Traditional cases that were paired with certain higher end instruments will no longer be standard.

So come in now to play our current inventory and find your dream
    instrument!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pricing increases to Collings and Waterloo Instruments

And from The Music Emporium today:

A price increase will go into effect for all Collings & Waterloos models on June 1st. All instruments (acoustic & electric) across both brands will be affected; so if you’ve had your eye on a particular Waterloo, or if you've been thinking about picking up a Collings guitar or mandolin ... now is a great time to buy!

Collings has also ceased production of their own vintage-style cases. Moving forward, all Collings instruments will come with a TKL case, including their "Traditional" series. If you've grown fond of the incredible Collings hand-built cases, call us while guitars & mandolins paired with them are still available!

Their vintage-style cases were so sweet. Probably NOT cost-effective to build. Too bad!

Bill did go way out there in spending to time & expense to come up with those cases. Collings has the building, the forms & hardware; all the heavy lifting is done. Perhaps sometime, they'll put out a run or two of them, or some limited production. Those cases really exemplify Bill's willingness to go all out in concept, design and fabrication.

Hmmm, just spotted a 2004 MF5 Varnish at Elderly Instruments....I wonder if the instruments under Bill's watch are or will be more desired than the current ones being made?
    John A. Karsemeyer

I'm so glad my MT2 came with the Collings case. They are so perfect, so exact, that only the MT2 will fit in it. Even the MTO will not (or so I'm told).

Not sure why Collings doesn't offer them as an upgrade for their top of the line A and F models. They are simply an amazing testament to the passion and genius of Bill Collings. Until you've held one, I know that sounds like hyperbole. But they are really, really special and provide off the chart pride of ownership every time I slip the instrument back into the lovely vintage green of its confines!

I'm sure the financials made sense to discontinue -- but it's a shame nonetheless.

jd, I'm guessing that at the moment it's also a case of manpower. The entire Collings operation isn't huge & if they're short on staff, especially in the case department which was small to begin with....keeping something like that going isn't going to be very profitable.
    On the cases, I'm entirely with you. They are amazing. Another testament to Bill's wizardry.

I hear you, Doc. That said, I do hope that Collings keeps on its website the video Bill did about why he designed them and what went into building them. Really says something special about his memory and the company, IMHO.

Blog Entries

I'm sure many of you also received that email from Music Emporium. I checked another source and that quote that case production has ceased--don't believe that to be the (no pun intended)... case. What they've done is you're not going to order a case from them, but if they have a custom, high end model it may come with a case as an option. They were already extremely difficult to obtain. That's not going to change. I've asked for clarification from my contact and Collings and will let everyone know if and when I hear back. Anything is possible I suppose.

Scott:
    Thank you for your diligence in providing this information for the Cafe.
    Your ongoing care for us in the field is most appreciated.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

12. The following members say thank you to Eric Hanson for this post:

Blog Entries

Here's the clarification from Alex at Collings below. Personally, from what I've experienced, I think "a couple of months" is more likely to be considerably longer than that but that's just me as someone that first acquired a mandolin case from, and then a guitar case for my vintage Martin D-18.

-------------

This may be old news at this point, but we are actually not ceasing production of Collings cases. We will, however, no longer be including them as the standard case for any models moving forward. After we've satisfy the existing orders that call for Collings cases, we will be selling them directly from our shop as a standalone offering, but it could be a couple months before they will be available.

14. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

DocT